Tom Tom Rider GPS Receiver Review

From 1 review

h4nym's review of Tom Tom Rider GPS Receiver

Tom Tom Rider GPS Receiver

“It took me 2 replacements to work out that the Tomtom...”

Written on: 20/09/2006 by h4nym (1 review written)

Excellent navigation
Good value for money when it's working
Intelligent implementation

Sound nowhere near loud enough
Irritatingly flaky but there is a workaround

General Comments
It took me 2 replacements to work out that the Tomtom RIDER GPS Receiver would not turn on after any journey of any reasonable length on a bike! I'm absolutely serious - one time use, then take it back and get it replaced. Initially I thought the problem was with the incredibly stiff on/off button. Try as I might, I simply couldn't get it to switch on, but then it dawned on me, when you place it in the powered cradle it should turn on automatically without needing to bruise your finger with the button and it didn't! So maybe the problem wasn't with the stiff button and it was something more sinister. In fact, the workaround is to reset the unit before you want to use it! Yep, it's that simple and that irritating! Now I carry a small pin in my top box and reset the Rider every time.

Come on, TomTom, you can do better than this, surely! The device, when it's working, does exactly what you need and does it very well. It's a proper Sat Nav, just waterproofed and ruggedised for a bike. Sort out this silly piece of amateur quality control and it would be great!

Divertony's Response to h4nym's Review

Written on: 01/10/2006

I have a TomTom Rider that keeps on crashing when you are riding on the bike. The unit has been back for repair, but am still having the same problem. The unit is now back at TomTom again for repair. If you send a unit back for repair they will quote you 10 working days. However, the timer only starts when the unit has been signed in at TomTom. Last time it took 14 days to get there, and then 15 days for the repair.

362359_Paul Riton Hayward 's Response to h4nym's Review

Written on: 26/04/2008

One more victim I purchased a brand new rider 2 and rode 35 miles stopped for fuel and the unit failed to turn on it seized. I knew the route home so was ok. I'm a bit angry these unit are the the most expensive and they should work. Once the battery failed I plugged in the charger and it turned on. Don't know how to reset the unit its only 4 days old. Will try again wish i knew this when considering a Garmin.!!