Gibson J-185 Review

• Sound Quality

• Appearance

mhooper's review of Gibson J-185

Gibson J-185

“When I went to buy a guitar I was after a Taylor or a...”

Written on: 24/08/2006 by mhooper (2 reviews written)

Nothing looks like it
Very well balanced tone across the range

Lacquer cracks
More rough edges than you'd think for the price
Some intonation issues

General Comments
When I went to buy a guitar I was after a Taylor or a Martin. My budget was in the region of £500 to £1000 so those makes catered perfectly for me, but whilst looking I came across the Gibson J-185 (brand new) reduced to clear at £900. It looked great and sounded beautifully well balanced, so I bought it. I think it was a pretty good deal. People go on about the build quality of Gibson's and I have to say there are a few flaws; more cosmetic than anything else, but still surprising. The guitar is just so much more individual than some of the others on the market, and I think once you're happy with the tone you go with your heart not your head. Taylor, Guild, Martin and Takamine are all good, but where's the passion? They might be perfectly finished, but if you're planning to keep a guitar for the rest of your life that becomes irrelevant; they'll all be worn and scuffed after 10 years. It's like with cars - head says BMW, heart says '66 Mustang.

• Sound Quality

• Appearance

• Advanced

Reviewer's Musical Standard