HSBC Student Account Review

• Overdraft Facility

Emily C's review of HSBC Student Account

“All in all, I am quite pleased with the service at...”

Written on: 09/08/2006 by Emily C (61 reviews written)

They have offers to encourage you to open a student account with HSBC. I chose them because I already had an account with them, so rather than switching banks I just upgraded my account to a student account. The free gift was either 10 CD's or an MP3 player. I chose to have the MP3 player, and I was extremely happy with it, and HSBC.

I'd had no problems with their service until it came to drawing money out one day. It wouldn't let me, and said I would have to contact my bank. I was in town anyway, so I thought I would pop into the bank. They said that wasn't working because a new card had been ordered (I'd not requested a new card, and my other one didn't expire for another 6 months)?! I just accepted that I'd have to get my money out at the bank for that day and that my mysterious new card was on the way.

My new card arrived, then subsequently my PIN number, and I went to the machine to draw some money out and it said the same thing. I wasn't near a branch, so I rang a number to be told that I was being sent another card. I explained that this was the card they were referring too and it hadn't worked. They then said they were going to send me a new card (at this point however, I had no money and I couldn't get any money out, so I wasn't pleased at all)! So I had no money, an old card which had worked fine that they then cut off, and a new card, which also didn't work because they were sending me a new card?! I eventually received the new card and the PIN number, and this card has worked fine ever since. However, I was offered no explanation as to why they had cut my card off in the first place?

General Comments
All in all, I am quite pleased with the service at HSBC. Every time I have been into the branch they have been more than accommodating and extremely helpful (I go to the store in Manchester, opposite boots).

It was suggested that I use their Internet banking as an easier way to check my money, and I've found this very helpful, apart from the one incident. I like HSBC, and I have no intention of switching my bank.