Fox Stratos FS 10000 Fishing Reel Review

arrows180's review of Fox Stratos FS 10000 Fishing Reel

“I recently bought 3 Fox Stratos FS 10000 Fishing Reels...”

Written on: 07/08/2006 by arrows180 (18 reviews written)

Very smooth
Excellent line lay

Poor build and quality control

General Comments
I recently bought 3 Fox Stratos FS 10000 Fishing Reels for Carp fishing on Oxfordshire gravel pits. I had to exchange 2 of the reels because they were faulty. One had a bent main shaft, and the other one had a faulty bail arm. I now have 3 good reels, but on using them you soon discover certain flaws in the design. The bail arm will only lock open in certain positions, and it won't fit over the spool if it's near the end of the stroke.

There are good points though. The reels are incredibly smooth due to the 16 ball bearings and one roller bearing, and the line lay is the best I've ever seen, which really helps long range casting. The line just peels off the spool with almost zero friction.

To sum up this review, I'm basically happy with my purchase, but I feel they could be a lot better. I had Shimano XTE's before these, and I can't help feeling that I've downgraded. These are the first reels to be made by Fox, and although they're good, I'd recommend anyone considering buying them to wait until Fox update or upgrade them, and until they sort out the teething problems.

Dan Warb's Response to arrows180's Review

Written on: 24/08/2006

Hello Arrow 180,
<br/>
<br/>I have been in contact with the review center to get your details but they say the only way is if I leave you a message here that will recive it.
<br/>
<br/>I was very keen to ask you how your &#039;Fox Stratos&#039; reels have been working for you since Fox replaced two of them ???
<br/>
<br/>I&#039;m really keen to buy three Stratos reels but wanted to make sure I was making the right decision.
<br/>
<br/>Please let me know and email me on . . .
<br/>danwarb@streamlime.com
<br/>
<br/>Thanks for your time and effort,
<br/>Dan

Arrows180's Response to arrows180's Review

Written on: 27/08/2007

One year on and the reels are doing fine. Still silky smooth and no visable signs of wear and tear. The price of these reels seems to have dropped since i bought mine and looking around the internet £75 seems to be the average price. Good reels for that price. Also Fox have recently released other models. A cheaper 'E' range and a smaller 7000 size reel. I recommend you check them out at your local dealer.