Big Issue Review

From 1 review

jonathan kelly's review of Big Issue

“I have been a homeless person myself for nine months...”

Written on: 04/08/2006 by jonathan kelly (110 reviews written)

Helps people

Very hard to sell for some

General Comments
I have been a homeless person myself for nine months after I had left university, and as an authentic person selling the Big Issue is what they had to offer me. It is a hard life walking the streets all day, having to accept hand-outs and going to day centres. I sold the Big Issue but it was difficult for me, as it is a hard thing to sell if you do not look the part. I bought it for 40p and sold it for £1, and the most I sold in a day was about 20, which made me £12 profit.

Food is free for the homeless at hand outs, which are however very busy. Nothing goes to waste, not even Hari Krishna rice and green colouring, so £12 is handy.

There are two types of homelessness; metaphysical, where the reason is not at all reasonable and it is a lie, so not authentic. Also transcendental, where a person loses all contact with their authentic self and becomes a stranger to themselves. This is what happened to me. And that is the reason why I tried selling the Big Issue. This pure thought can be difficult if the person has nothing to fall back on, and they loose contact with the everyday, unable to function in the everyday. The Big Issue is about homelessness, and it is a mixture of the metaphysical and transcendental. A transcendental homeless person who is dressed like Jesus will not beg. Only a metaphysical liar who thinks they are telling the truth.

It seems then that all beggars are liars but think they are telling the truth, which is a paradox, as there is no truth in a paradox. It is then only natural for them to try to be themselves.

It is then the seemingly good that decide what is seemingly good, holding on to it so the metaphysics about science becomes the reason for it and the determination, so it is only a theory. Not asking then about any meaning but going around and around in circles, and with a failure to think anything different. A failure to ask for any truth, so it is taken for granted. Reason separated from its element; truth is HOMELESSNESS - wandering the streets in a crisis due to its separation from truth. HOMELESSNESS is due to reason having a lack of any truth in it. Its constitution is then one of metaphysics of what sounds good about science, but there is no truth about it. Transcendental homelessness is having lost contact with your authentic thought caused by thinking pure thought or things that have nothing to do with yourself, which is a Big Issue if ever there was one.

• Weekly

Published

• Occasionally

Regularity Of Purchase.

Jonathan Kelly's Response to jonathan kelly's Review

Written on: 10/11/2006

I did not mention that selling the Big Issue can get others upset, as I was threatened by many other sellers and even shop workers who did not like me standing outside their doors. Even an old man threatened me outside Holborn tube station. It can be a sad business.