Homecall Broadband Review

• Reliability

• Speed Consistency

jimmy menz's review of Homecall Broadband

☆☆☆☆☆

“I received a phonecall recently from the lovely people...”

Written on: 03/08/2006 by jimmy menz (1 review written)

Cheap Cheap Cheap

They lie, they bite off more than they can chew, their internet is provided by tiscali!

General Comments
I received a phonecall recently from the lovely people at pipex homecall. As a current pipex broadband customer, they made they lovely offer of a free broadband upgrade to 8mb from 1mb providing i took out my line rental and phone calls with them, which they promised would be cheaper. Anyway, i wanted the upgrade and i was told i would have to wait 2 weeks. Great i thought, no more waiting around for sluggish downloads! Well after 2 weeks had passed, no upgrade. after a month, no upgrade. After 2-3 months, well you get the picture!

So i called the people at pipex homecall today asking what the hell is going on. I was told that they would take my name down and call me back within 7 days. Nice diversion tactics i think. Well i wasn't happy and demanded answers. They then gave me some story about how they were waiting for pipex to upgrade me and that i should call them. So i phoned pipex broadband asking for answers. They told me that with the upgrade, my line speed would increase, however my service would be reduced to a capped service of 15gb a month. Not much of an upgrade when you consider i was on an unlimited service previously. Then to add insult to injury, pipex told me that pipex homecall failed to tell me that this would include a brand spanking new 12 month contract! At this point i felt cheated considering lying to cutomers to get them on their books is fraud.

So there i was, confused some more about what the hell has been going on for the last few months. So once again, i phoned pipex homecall (a national rate number that was costing up to £1 for every 15mins). This time i demanded to speak to a manager, who was reluctant to talk to me after the previous, heated conversations i had had with them. The manager then spoke to me who was happy to be honest and clear things up for me. He told me that it was not pipex homecall that signed me up to their services, it was actually pipex. Although their names are similar, they are 2 different companies with completely different systems so how can one company sign me up to another? Pipex homecall stated that pipex mis-sold me (aka committed fraud) the service and they shouldnt have done what they did in the first place. This was strange as when i was sold the service, the representitive told me they were calling from pipex homecall, not pipex (confusing eh?)! By this point i was fed up of being lied to. I had been passed from pillar to post too many times now and the blissful, hassle free memories from BT came flooding back. I left pipex homecall no option, i was cancelling and there was nothing they could do to stop me. Even when i tried to cancel, the manager told me that he would need to take my details and call me back in a few days. Well i wasn't falling for that and told him that i do not want to be with pipex homecall for another day. I was put on hold for a while and then received a nice touch from them. They told me not to cancel, rather contact BT and switch back to them as this will stop my line going dead and avoid a £75 reactivation charge! I was touched, but also relieved that this would be the end! Anyway, i phone BT and the switch over is going ahead, i'm so pleased!

Before i end, i would like to bring one more thing to people attention. Pipex homecall offer unlimited broadband at a bargain basement price. I repeat, unlimited broadband, no download limits! As with most isp's, theres a fair usage policy. Bellow is pipex homecall, which seems very reasonable:

"Our Fair Usage tool automatically identifies the very small number of extremely heavy users and manages their bandwidth only during peak hours (6pm to 11pm Monday to Sunday, inc. Bank Holidays), to protect the service for all our other customers. Outside peak hours, the use of the Internet by these heavy users is unaffected."

So basically its saying, don't download a lot during peak hours, but download as much as you want during off-peak and there wont be a problem. Well i thought i'd question this when i called earlier (not the manager, just some lady). I said to her, if i dont download during peak hours but constantly downloaded during off-peak then this won't be a problem. She replied by saying yes. I then said if i downloaded a terabyte of data in a month, off-peak, then this would not be a problem. Once again, she said yes. I still wasn't convinced, so i asked the manager the same questions. his responses somehow differed from the previous representatives. He told me that although the service is unlimited, they have a cap of around 40gb! Hardly unlimited is it? He then went on to tell me that their broadband services isn't even provided by pipex, its provided by tiscali, the worst isp in the world ( I should know, i left them a few years back because of poor service).

I could go on for hours, but to hell with it, i'm sure you get the picture. However, i will do a quick recap of what to expect if you sign up with pipex homecall or whatever they are calling themselves these days!

1. They will promise to give you lots of goodies if you sign up, but you will never get them (fraud), but you will probably still have to pay for them (theft).

2. If you try to question them, expect diversion tactics and be left on hold indefinatly.

3. Unlimited broband isnt unlimited. Their lies are hard burned into their policy so to be sure to be screwed from the start.

4. Free upgrades arent free. Expect to be signed up for the rest of your life without being told (fraud).

5. Whatever one staff member tells you, you'll have piece of mind that its a pack of lies (fraud). Then whn the next person corrects the first persons mistakes, you'll be sure that you have been told even more lies (fraud).

Please please please take note of this review. It doesn't matter how good the offer is, how low the price is or how much you will be getting free, you will never get it! Avoid like i wish i did, it will save you so much time and hassle.

Lets hope that pipex homecall tke note of this and at least attempt to improve their services.

Greewny's Response to jimmy menz's Review

Written on: 22/08/2006

AGREE AGREE AGREE !!! PIPEX HOMECALL THE WORST ISP EVER !!! CUSTOMER SERVICE = 0 COMPANY = 0

Wullie999's Response to jimmy menz's Review

Written on: 10/05/2008

I totally agree I am just about to get rid of them, my broadband speed right now is 96kbs I have to laugh.

Written on: 22/09/2006

Thank you gilly, I have now submitted my complaint to watchdog and hope to hear a response from them soon. Once again, thank you for the tip and I will update here when necessary.

Gilly56's Response to jimmy menz's Review

Written on: 21/09/2006

Have you thought about contacting watchdog/they featured them on a programme. You can email them on the bbc watchdog site. Their attempts at PR are a joke.

Written on: 21/09/2006

Well heres another update:
<br/>
<br/>I emailed homecall in response to the comment they left on the same day i left my last comment. Almost 1 month has passed since then and i have heard nothing back, absolutly nothing at all! I thought that the comment they left was their effort to rectify any issue they had with me in the past but it obviously means they are trying to fool people into thinking they are doing the right thing by leaving comments on the negative reviews.
<br/>
<br/>I now have nothing to do with pipex or homecall now to my relief. However, i did recieve an email last night from pipex. They were emailing me my mac code again, even though my migration to freeola completed on the 5th of september. The worst thing is, the mac code they sent me was my phone number again, which definitly isn't a mac code! I called pipex this morning at exactly 9am when their offices open and even then, i was on hold for 15 minutes! I really do wonder what goes on at their customer services depatment! Anyways, a CS representative told me i received the email because my account was officially closed down today and that i would recieve a refund for overpayments in the next 10 days.
<br/>
<br/>I can now only assume that i will never hear from both pipex or homecall again although i would encourage any homecall representative reading this to respond to the email i sent over a month ago as i am keen to hear your responses.
<br/>
<br/>I will update in future if i hear anything from homecall. If this is my last comment then you can be assured that homecall havent bothered to contact me.

Gilly56's Response to jimmy menz's Review

Written on: 19/09/2006

How have you found they have treated you. Please keep us updated.

Written on: 24/08/2006

Thank you pipex homecall for the not very personal response. I shall be in touch with you in the near future as I would like to hear what excusses you have this time.
<br/>
<br/>To anyone who may have read homecalls response, it may look like they are trying to put things right but i can assure you that they are not. Look at reviews from years back, homecall have responded to most of them, however, this has not stopped the bad reviews. Look at their average rating on this site, it is poor. In fact, type "homecall reviews" in any search engine and you will see that wherever you go, you will find many many negative reviews about them.
<br/>
<br/>I would like to add that since this review, i have also has problems with pipex broadband too. I switched my phone services back to BT, but my broadband was still with pipex (not homecall!). I was on the 1mb uncapped service but found that too slow. I gave pipex the benefit of the doubt as i have had fairly good internet services from them for almost a year and a half. I asked for the 8mb upgrade being fully aware that it will cost me more and that i would be tied into another 12 month contract. I was a bit suspicious when i made the upgrade as the representative had me on the phone for about 10 minutes to complete the process, something that shouldn't take that long. I was told after 10 days my speed would increase. However, after 10 days, no upgrade! I phoned pipex&#039;s rather slow customer support to find out what was happening. i was told that although they took a note of my order, they hadn&#039;t actually processed it! however, they did offer to process my order there and then but i could see no light at the end of the tunnel so i decided to request my mac code. I was told that i would receive the code within 72hrs. 2 days later, my mac code arrives by email which was the same as i my phone number which i thought was strange. anyways, i call another isp (freeola) to try to migrate but i was told that "pipex must be having a laugh" as my mac code IS NOT MY PHONE NUMBER! so there i go again phoning pipex customer support. I was on hold for 15 minutes before i hung up. I tried again though but this time i tried to phone the sales team. To my surprise, my phone call was answered within a minute but it was a real shame the put me through to customer support, another 20 minute wait. In the end, i got my mac code, but what a hassle!
<br/>
<br/>Sign up if you dare, but once the hoff has you, he wont let go without a fight, or a diversion, or a lie, or a scam............

Homecallsupport's Response to jimmy menz's Review

Written on: 24/08/2006

Hello
<br/>
<br/>I am part of the Broadband Technical Support at Homecall. We are working to develop our systems and solutions and we appreciate that on some occasions, a customer drops from visibility and control and that the forums, are the only options left open.
<br/>
<br/>In order to manage these we are making contact to the forum Administrators and asking for assistance in making contact to users such as yourself.
<br/>
<br/>I would greatly appreciate it if you would e-mail me at forumsupport@homecall.co.uk with details of the experiences that you have had with Homecall in order for me to investigate them.
<br/>
<br/>This email address is a new initiative and we would request that only people who have tried the correct channels first for support without success use
<br/>
<br/>To enable me to investigate the issues I will need to have your surname, the last 3 letters of your post code and the fourth, fifth and sixth numbers of your telephone number (that is used by your Homecall account), in order to perform a basic Data Protection Act check.
<br/>HOMECALL CONTACTS:
<br/>GENERAL QUERIES:
<br/>Email: care@pipex.net
<br/>TECHNICAL QUERIES:
<br/>Email: broadbandsupport@pipex.net
<br/>
<br/>Thank you for your time and trouble in bringing these issues to our attention.
<br/>Jeff Green