FHM Review

Useless's review of FHM

“FHM, a magazine as thick as a phonebook, with maybe...”

Written on: 30/06/2006 by Useless (1 review written)

When they do photoshoots, they do them right. Men buying FHM mostly want to see beautiful, famous women in bikinis, and FHM can deliver that. Once in a while.

Adverts. Filler. Adverts. More filler. Filler sandwiched between adverts. With a side order of adverts.

General Comments
FHM, a magazine as thick as a phonebook, with maybe four pages of read-worthy articles. Far, far, far too many adverts - it's the Talk Sport of men's mags (though it's hardly alone).

The magazine also falls back too often on the whole lame High Street Honeys thing, where they can get away with doing a photo shoot of some aspiring page 3 model instead of one with a famous celebrity, just so they can save money on thr models and still charge the usual price for the mag.

When I buy a magazine like this, I want to look at beautiful women and also have a good read of some funny/interesting stuff (in a laddish sort of way). This used to be more the case with FHM, Loaded, Maxim etc. But the last issue of FHM took me about three minutes to get through before I chucked it in the bin, and I couldn't have cared less about the photoshoots.

The price keeps going up and the quality keeps heading straight down. Do I want to pay £3.50 or whatever for next month's issue? Do I want to spend half an hour flicking through almost endless adverts before I find one miniscule thing worth reading? Do I want to spend my cash on a magazine full of stuff which I would throw away if it came through my letterbox, since I would be able to recognize it as junk mail?

• Monthly

Published