Ricoh RDC-i500 Review

• Image Quality

• Battery Life

Sean Clarke.'s review of Ricoh RDC-i500

Ricoh RDC-i500

“The Ricoh RDC-i500 is an excellent and easy to use...”

Written on: 13/06/2001 by Sean Clarke. (1 review written)

Very quick to get started, easy to use with or without the pop-up screen. There are so many options, you can customise this camera to your hearts desire. The PC interface is excellent either from a browser or a file explorer. An excellent package all round.

Rearrange the order of the delete menu, put the 'delete all' option at the hardest to get to place.
It was a bit of a struggle to get the PC web browser interface to work. Windows 2000 and IIS just aren't compatible with this. Amateur PC users may have difficulty.
When taking shots with the flash, the screen can go black for a few seconds whilst it recharges the flash.

General Comments
The Ricoh RDC-i500 is an excellent and easy to use digital camera. It might not look as 'camera-like' as others but the range of features it has and the performance more than make up for it.

There are so many options to customise how you wish to use the camera, it must cater for almost everyone's needs.

The thumbnail review is excellent, especially if you have been using the auto-bracket or multi shot modes, good for comparison of many photos and it helps to manage your shots.

The PC interface is great once you get it working. I think that the less experienced PC user may have difficultly, though they might not be using Windows 2000 with IIS 5. You need to shut IIS down to get the interface to work. Another method of interface would be useful instead of trying to be clever :-)

This is my first digital camera and I am very impressed with the overall facilities, quality and ease of use of the whole package.

• Image Quality

3170_Frosty Boy.'s Response to 2502_Sean Clarke.'s Review

Written on: 29/07/2001

I read this review after purchaing the same model from Duty Free on my way out of Oz for a three week trip. I made the purchasing decision casually, mainly based on my faith in the Ricoh name, and the sex appeal of the camera itself. I have had no regrets. This camera has been expensive to buy, but has performed magnificently - image handling is a strong suit, so is portability and ruggedness. The PC interface worked first time for me (on Win98) and compared to my first digital camera, a Kodak DC260, this is a delight to operate, booting up in two seconds (Kodak took 7 secs!) and closing down even faster. A real sharp shooter... but I'll advise users to select the 1024 x 768 "fine" mode to shoot in - lower rez's produce too much pixelation on the finished product.

Jackbel.'s Response to 2502_Sean Clarke.'s Review

Written on: 01/06/2003

Very useful review. In fact, I just bought an i700 on Internet but I am still waiting for. Very impatient to see by myself and then add a review here.

Jim Moore.'s Response to 2502_Sean Clarke.'s Review

Written on: 19/08/2001

I travel frequently to the UK and would like to purchase this camera in London during my next visit. Could someone tell me where to find it at the best price? Also, does anyone know the current duty-free price? The i500 is not available in the US...imagine that!