Pearl DLX Review

• Sound Quality

• Appearance

Lycanthropunk's review of Pearl DLX

Pearl DLX

“Why the Pearl DLX drums aren't more popular or more...”

Written on: 14/06/2006 by Lycanthropunk (1 review written)

There seems to be very little information about these drums, even on the PDF, so I thought I'd share some info here. These were marketed in the mid to late 80's as an intermediate set, but don't let that put you off. These drums, for those in the know, are renowned for being some of the best sounding drums ever released by Pearl, regardless of how they were marketed. They have an absolutely beautiful tone, warm, resonant with noticably more low end than birch or maple. This is due to the unique mixture of wood plies in the shells: a mix of birch, super mahogany and lamin. This gives the drums an unique tone not found in the mass produced 100% birch kits which are plentiful today. I have honestly never heard such a perfect compromise between attack and sustained tone before. I have had many great kits before.. Ludwig Classic, Yamaha 9000, Pear Custom Z, let alone all the kits I've played, and I can honestly say the DLX sounds better than all of them! The bass drum is fantastic- plenty of low end, the floortom is the first time I have ever been 100% happy with a 16"x16".. extreme low end power, but never a rumble, and all the toms just sing, EVEN with Pinstripes on them, which normally choke most drums.

The lugs aren't pretty, and these are pre-isolation mounts. That's about it!

General Comments
Why the Pearl DLX drums aren't more popular or more sought after is quite beyond me! 80's drums often get bad press, more due to the ultra-compressed recording techniques more than anything else, but these drums deserve to get the recognition they deserve. Put simply, these are the BEST sounding drums I have ever played!!

• Sound Quality

• Appearance

• Intermediate

Reviewer's Musical Standard

257462_Ian Smart's Response to Lycanthropunk's Review

Written on: 30/08/2006

HI, I have the same kit exactly, also a WLX World series, IN Matt natural finish, 12x8,13x9,14x14f/t 20x14, + 14x5, matching snare, i have played almost every kit made over the last 40 years, i still use these as well as a BLX Birch, (i have 3 of these) all sound fantastic, the only weak drum is the WLX 20x14 bass drum, only good if miked up, or with a full front head, cheers, IAN.

Master Of Puppets's Response to Lycanthropunk's Review

Written on: 25/11/2006

Hi,
<br/>I totally agree with you on all aspects. I have a 9 piece Pearl DLX drum kit, and an 11 piece Yamaha Power V. I bought the Power V new in 1989, and I bought the DLX last year, secondhand. They both have the same warmth and depth in sound. I would take a 5 piece DLX over a 9 piece Masters kit any day!!