Gibson SG Standard Review

• Sound Quality

• Appearance

charliegolf's review of Gibson SG Standard

Gibson SG Standard

“I've been playing strat style guitars for 25 years, I...”

Written on: 27/05/2006 by charliegolf (1 review written)

Nicely made, killer sound(clean and distorted), fast neck, looks very cool, brilliant flight case, light and comfortable on a strap.

Not sure if I will get used to the lead jack sticking out the front, already bashed against it a few times.

General Comments
I've been playing strat style guitars for 25 years, I went and bought this Gibson SG Standard on a whim as I was getting bored with the guitars I have (A '62 reissue Squire Strat and and Ibanez RG550), I walked in and said show me a Gibson for under £1,000, there were 2, both SG's a Special and a Standard. Blown away is is an understatement, I have quite small hands and this thing plays itself, it feels faster than the wafer thin Ibanaez neck even though it's quite thick, my accuaracy improved itself with the shape of the neck, I am kicking myself for steering clear of Gibsons for so long (I blame Hendrix). I tried a Special first and liked it, then tried the Standard, I thought the extra £300 meant it was a no go but got my credit card out 10 minutes later. Love it, buy one.

• Sound Quality

• Appearance

• Advanced

Reviewer's Musical Standard