Sony DAV-S880 Review

M.'s review of Sony DAV-S880

☆☆☆☆☆
Sony DAV-S880

“Dear Sir, ”

Written on: 01/04/2003 by M. (1 review written)

Compact, good looking, reasonable sound quality and flexible output options.

The usual poor SONY designed control unit

General Comments
Dear Sir,

I bought my multi-region DAV S880 from Home Cinema. After 2 months it developed an intermittent fault where the DVD picture froze and the player refused to read the disk - and went into a continuous repeat-read-fail mode. After cleaning the unit thoroughly and trying various disks to no avail (all the latter played on an alternative player without problems) I deduced it was a problem with the player itself and I contacted Home Cinema and returned the unit to them at their request (somewhat grudgingly now that I think about it). They claimed the unit was a) dirty! b) that they could not reproduce the fault and c) that I was using the unit in unnauthorised mode i.e. as a standalone component out DVD player! This ridiculous statament was later retracted but based on this my confidence was somewhat dented in their willingness or ability to repair the unit. Interestingly their small print states that they will not be liable for return postage/parts costs etc for "unauthorised use" or "operator error" hence their initial response presumably. They then refused to replace the unit as I requested. They then refused to pay back my money as requested. I subsequently contacted SONY who suggested I send it to an alternative service dealer. This I have been forced to do. After receiving the unit back from Home Cinema the fault, as I predicted to them, reappeared even worse than before. I am now having to seek out a different dealer to repair the unit. In my personal opinion I would be very wary about purchasing any item from these people - they are not worth the effort. My faith in SONY products has also been diminished. This is not what I all good customer service. I will keep you appraised of further developments. In the meantime anyone else who has had similar problems with Home Cinema or the Sony DAV S880 or equivalent problems please feel free to contact me.

Yours sincerely

Martin Gallagher

114422_Al.'s Response to 85227_M.'s Review

Written on: 09/07/2003

I have the same problem with my set and my waiting for Sony's analysis of the problem

161700_Acharan's Response to 85227_M.'s Review

Written on: 10/07/2004

I also have a sony DAV-S880 which I bought from Sony Central in Sydney Australia and it has similar problems as described by others. For the price I paid for the brand name of SONY, I am very disappointed. Regards A. Charan, Sydney-Australia.

Shawn2000's Response to 85227_M.'s Review

Written on: 26/05/2004

I have the Sony DAV-S880 player and have the same problems with reading DVDs. It does seem to be able to play audio CDs still though!
<br>
<br>I am currently trying to seek compensation under the new Sale of Goods Act which states that goods should last for a reasonable amount of time. I have owned this player for 17 months and only played 15 DVDs on it in that time!

Doodlesdog's Response to 85227_M.'s Review

Written on: 07/04/2004

I reported the same hanging picture problem 4 weeks ago. Luckily my unit is under guarantee. The repair shop have replaced the laser and some 'integrated circuits, resistors and capacitors' but now it won't even play their test discs..... Very poor Sony!
<br>
<br>I am now using my old Sony DSC-725 again.
<br>
<br>Will let you all know if they ever fix it!

Racolta's Response to 85227_M.'s Review

Written on: 04/02/2004

I have an DAV 800 Sony bayed in 2003 in Germany
<br>but is just for Region 2
<br>How and where i can bye a multiregion decoder

Ajapaneseengr's Response to 85227_M.'s Review

Written on: 11/01/2004

The picture freezes - I agree. I now use it as a CD player and amplifier + speakers only when I watch DVDs. I now use one of Toshiba's as a DVD player connecting the audio signal to the 880 because the Toshiba player has no problem to play DVDs. Looking at the comments from other people, the pickups in the Sony's product range have obvious design faults.

Swjs's Response to 85227_M.'s Review

Written on: 21/12/2003

Fantastic! Answers to my kids moan.
<br>
<br>"Dad the DVD won't work."
<br>
<br>I have the Sony DAV-S550 and have got the message "can't read" after it spends some time with a message "reading" being displayed.
<br>
<br>My bad luck is that my warranty ran out last week.
<br>
<br>If this is a fault with the Sony DAV S*** range? Surely there should be a recall service for the product which is free of charge.
<br>
<br>Come on Mr Sony - Sort your products out! Or I'll just buy Bose in the future.

Mshari's Response to 85227_M.'s Review

Written on: 04/12/2003

I have the same problem for the last three months with picture freezes, continuous read-fail mode followed by "can't play" message. Intermittently and mostly unable to read/play VCDs and DVDs. All these while I thought it was the VCDs and DVDs. Luckily I came across this website and found others are having the same problem. Try the VCDs and DVDs on other DVD player- no problem. Just sent my unit to Sony and was informed that they need to replaced a component and the diode (just wondering are these the main causes of the problem). They need to do some tests first before returning it to me. Hoped that everything is OK after this repair as my warranty ends 31 Dec 03.

Psmyth's Response to 85227_M.'s Review

Written on: 27/11/2003

This is a followup to my previous posting.
<br>
<br>We returned the unit to the Dealer we bought it from and after about a month we recieved it back only to find that the problem was still there. In fact just like one of the other commenters the problem was actually worse as the freezes occurred more often. No parts were replaced but the unit was reset and recalibrated. We returned the unit again and after a delay of three weeks recieved it back. This time two parts were replaced including the diode and so far the unit seems to be working correctly. In fact we have been able to watch parts of some DVDs we were unable to watch before. For example the closing credits of Monsters Inc. which always exhibited the problem. We are hoping that this is the end of the story but if the problem reappears we will be looking for a replacement or our money back. I certainly have little faith in Sony or their service agents at this stage. It is also interesting to note that Sony have already replaced this model with a newer one (DAVS888). I wonder why!?
<br>Paul Smyth
<br>Ireland

Col14's Response to 85227_M.'s Review

Written on: 26/11/2003

I had the same problem with the DAVS800. Comet took it back but the model had been replaced by the 880. I exchanged it for the 880. So far, it's been OK - but for an expensive system, it's not what I would have expected.
<br>
<br>I did find that Comet were very reluctant to replace the system - they wanted to repair it (it was less than 3 months old). Only persistence resulted in it being replaced and I had to pay the difference.

Mccssmwg's Response to 85227_M.'s Review

Written on: 26/08/2003

Following Sony's advice I took my original faulty DAV 880 unit to COMET/Curry's who were able to provide a replacement unit without any problem. Their service Dept. were unable to proceed with a repair (they said that Sony were unable to supply the spare part (the diode/reader assembly)in sufficient time and so they were happy to provide a replacement despite the item being purchased from another supplier. COMET/CURRY's customer service was excellent in this respect as opposed to the original supplier (see previous comments). However, due to this poor experience I have replaced the Sony unit with a Pioneer multi-region unit which as with all Pioneer units I have purchased over the years proved excellent. The replacement Sony unit has been relegated to the spare room and is not often used, however, it has frozen up on me once but I cannot confirm this is a repeat of the previous problem. It is interesting to hear that I am not alone in experiencing this problem.
<br>I anyone else has a problem I suggest you contact the Sony help desk and ask for a replacement or your money back.
<br>Moral of the story is - dont buy from certain suppliers over the web and be careful with all-in one home cinema units from Sony, stick to separates which are more reliable and easier to service/replace.
<br>Martin

Psmyth's Response to 85227_M.'s Review

Written on: 26/08/2003

We too have the same problem with this unit. We do not use it very often and have not yet tried to return it for replacement. After using a disc for 90 mins or more the problem tends to appear. It is extremely annoying especially given that this is not just a basic model but is in fact quite an expensive one. You have usually just reached the most exciting part of a movie when the problem appears. You cannot imagine anything more furstrating or annoying.
<br>Paul Smyth
<br>Ireland

114678_Bob.'s Response to 85227_M.'s Review

Written on: 10/07/2003

I have similar problem with DAV S550. Disapointing from Sony!