Wim Wakker Jack, Bass Concertina Review

• Appearance

Dark Storm's review of Wim Wakker Jack, Bass Concertina

Wim Wakker Jack, Bass Concertina

“Hi there. ”

Written on: 20/04/2006 by Dark Storm (4 reviews written)

It's bass

It's only a student model

General Comments
Hi there.

I recently took up the Concertina (similar to the Accordian & Melodian). I bout a Wim Wakker "Jack" model, which is a bass concertina. It is the "English" layout, which is different from the "Anglo" and "Duet" concertinas.

Its sound is really nice, but because it is a very cheap concertina (£200) and made from plywood and cheap valves ( I think that's right). You get the odd rumble and vibration from the components.

If no one has ever heard this instrument, or heard of it, then you should have a look at the old sailors of the 19th century. This was a handy instrument for them to play, as they are fairly small.

I love this instrument, as I am not musically talented with guitars (I have had Gibson's, Fenders and an Ibanez, and still own a Burns Red Special), and the keyboard. This is the first instrument I have found quite easy to get to grips with. I have had it a couple of weeks, and can already play the basic melody for "Stand By Me" and the "Red Dwarf" them tune.

Brilliant.

Everyone should have a look at these instruments.

Lookout for:

Wheatstones (the original company, started by Sir Charles Wheatstone, who invented the instrument)

A.C. Norman & if you can find one on Ebay, or a picture on the net (because they don't have a website)

Collin Dipper (who is regarded as the best.

What annoys me with some of these companies, considering how much they charge (Wheatstones and Dippers are thousands of pounds) is how long it takes for them to make the instrument, but I'll write any reviews for them separately, if and when I ever have the money to buy them, and when I eventually do get the instruments.

• Sound Quality

• Appearance

• Beginner

Reviewer's Musical Standard