Beeman SS1000 Review

• Accuracy

• Handling

BushwickBill's review of Beeman SS1000

“I picked up a Beeman SS1000 at the local big 5. I've...”

Written on: 07/04/2006 by BushwickBill (1 review written)

Great out of the box. With a good tune this could turn into a great rifle.

After less than 200 shots the spring became weak. The trigger was quite loose. It felt like the whole trigger and spring were falling appart.

General Comments
I picked up a Beeman SS1000 at the local big 5. I've been shooting high power rifle and smallbore 3 position rifle for quite some time. I was impressed with the SS1000 looks, weight and quality when I bought it. I spend the next two days getting used to the rifle. There was a large tag attached to the rifle that claimed it had been sighted in by a pro. The first shot was bout 6" high and about 2" to the left. So much for the pro sight in. Eventually I was able to dial in the rifle to shoot single hole or 1/2 inch groups at about 10 meters or about 10 yards. I was waiting to see how the gun preformed at longer distances (this required a trip to a safe shooting spot). Before I could manage to do this the gun's internals started to fall apart. I'm new to airguns so I dont know the proper terminology but here is what happend. The trigger became loose I also noticed that if you moved the gun you could hear the spring moving back and forth inside the gun, like it had been crunched and was now smaller. If you moved the trigger with you fingers it felt like it made the same noise. I found the group started to get larger and larger even at 10 yards. It finally got to about 3" and I took the gun back to the local shop.

I could have sent the gun for a supertune. It would have cost $200 for an aftermarket spring and trigger. The gun needed it and if it had worked it would have made a fine airgun. This however would have brought the price to over $400. I feel like I could have picked up a better gun for this price. I picked up a RWS mendoza 2003 it was the same price as the stock SS1000. It has an interchangable barrel .177 and .22 and looked rugged. So far its not as accurate but I hope it will be more rugged and will last a lot longer. If it falls apart I'll take it back again and try out the Gamo. So far 100-200 shots or so its been ok but after reading the reviews on this site I regret picking it up.

• Accuracy

• Handling

Sifu456's Response to BushwickBill's Review

Written on: 11/04/2006

Its common that the stock screws may loosen up from firing 200-500 rounds and also the trigger guard screws may need tightening. This will cause the groups to expand but with a screwdriver you are back in business. Rattling in a spring air rifle is common and it happens on even the vunernable Beeman R1 or R9 you pick it up and shake it you can hear the cocking joint rattle on some. But as long as the stock and trigger guard screws are tight you can shoot lights out.
I hope you are happy with that Mendoza 2003 convertible the Gamo would have been a better choice imo, but still not a SS/Gh1000 it doesn't have the trigger.

Anaarch99's Response to BushwickBill's Review

Written on: 29/03/2007

Thank you guys for your encouraging and honest comments about the Beeman SS1000, which I am planning to purchase. I am entirely new to the air rifle thing, so anything you can offer will be helpful toward my purchase. The reason I am wanting to buy this rifle is price of course and as a beginner and not rich, I will try this rifle out. However the source that I will buying only offers it in the 177 cal. for $140 +/- category. I like to get the same in a 22 caliber however. Can someone suggest some sources where I can purchase a SS1000 in 22 cal for around $140 area? Thanks for any help you can give.
<br/>
<br/>Allen in Honolulu

Sifu456's Response to BushwickBill's Review

Written on: 30/06/2006

I haven't adjusted the rear part of the scope - it's clear enough on mines. But I have adjusted the AO for 10m out to 80 yards. Usually that's a sight in job, at least ten pellets to make the adjustmemt. With this setup and probably any rifle with AO it's just a turn of the AO and its back to 1 hole groups at 10m and busting 4" clays at 80m. For a Cheap Chinese copy of a Spanish air rifle its hard to beat. I have it in .22 I may buy a .177 just because they are bargains and accurate.
<br>
<br>And I won't adjust the rear optical thanks.

Steve Ellsworth's Response to BushwickBill's Review

Written on: 30/06/2006

I'll tell ya most of the problems with this rifle are the scope!
<br>
<br>Granted, they may be bore sighted and close when you get them but if after getting the rifle out of the box you make any changes to the rear ocular to focus the cross hairs you are in for a world of re-sighting.
<br>
<br>The whole scope assembly is sloppy, I think junk is a better word.
<br>
<br>I had mine perfect but then I readjusted the ocular and from then on it was 4 hours of hard work to get the scope back on line.
<br>
<br>If the locking ring is loose on the back of the scope the sight picture changes drastically and the cross-hairs will be so far out you will be lucky to hit a 55 gallon drum at 20 foot.
<br>
<br>While the scope is nice and sharp it is a low end item. I am replacing it with a Banner next week. Called Beeman and they said it would handle it, actually any bushnell rated for break barrel will work and there are three to pick from, I am going with the 6x18.
<br>
<br>Don't give up on the gun, its a good one, it's always possible to get a lemon off the display rack, so always get a sealed box item.
<br>
<br>So it's got some power to it. Beeman says it's an entry level gun Chinese import and cant compare to the German guns but for a knockoff this is one nice fortune cookie.
<br>
<br>Lubing the pellets with graphite makes a world of difference - predators and premiers really rip - I think its best to stay with one weight range of pellets - it loves the 7.9 crow magnum but they tend to drop quite a bit because of the weight increase but they do pretty well.
<br>
<br>Do check all the screws and tighten things up periodically - it makes a big difference. Once you figure out how to hold and shoot this rifle its a killer!

Bushwickbill's Response to BushwickBill's Review

Written on: 18/04/2006

I brought the SS1000 back too fast I think. I should have given that rifle more of a chance. I wound up bringing back the Mendoza too. Maybe I'm just too picky. I'm thinking about an air arms 410e. A totally different deal but the accuracy would great and only accurate rifles are interesting. I'll keep that advice in mind though if I ever wind up using a springer again.
<br>Thanks...