Motorola SLVR Review

• Reception

• Style

FESTer's review of Motorola SLVR

Motorola SLVR

“Having had my Motorola SLVR mobile phone now for over...”

Written on: 27/03/2006 by FESTer (1 review written)

Expandable memory
Fantastic speaker(s)
Solid feel
Crystal clear screen
Orange software?
Personalisation options
Speed

Orange software?

General Comments
Having had my Motorola SLVR mobile phone now for over a month, all I can say is it is amazing (the Orange software can take a little getting used to, but once you use it for a day or two deliberately exploring, it is surprisingly intuitive).

Having come from the V3, one of the first things I did notice was the speed increase in the response to menu selections, texting and call answering. The memory card is great, and having full length music on that for the iTunes bit (not used daily but used) this also shows off what is a fantastic speaker setup with lovely rich tones. I have used the phones memory for cropped MP3 tunes (20 - 30 second clips), and I now have plenty of tracks assigned to different groups of people and individuals. This is where a nice function has been added. With previous Motorola phones you could only use the first letter for searching the phone book, and now you can search using the first few letters if you so desire, which is so useful when there is a couple of hundred entries. Still of slight annoyance is the fact you cannot store landlinemobileemail address under a single name entry, and it still shows as multiple, which makes the phone book bloaty (I suppose that's what the category options are for though).

I would say the keypad is good, and it is nicer to use than some of Nokia's and Sony's offerings of late. Still, if you come from a V3 it may seem small, as that was a huge pad.

I haven't managed the claimed 14 days with the battery life. With limited daily use at the start, with home and work being in a low signal area (everywhere else perfect) I did manage 10 days, so I have been more than happy with that. To get rid of the annoying low battery bleep that definitely needs a longer interval, it is a quick change of ring style to vibrate, or silent until you can get it to the charger, but like I said, with a 9/10 day interval, you're not going to hear that too often.

Motorola have again given plenty of customisation options for the button allocations, so you can get quick access to the most often used features, which is very useful, as I tend to use mine almost like a PDA.

Not of much use to me is the camera, but it is VGA 640x480, and I believe and it also does videos.

Finally, is how this phone feels. The V3, and to an extent the V600, all felt a touch delicatefragile. This on the other hand, for a small phone especially, feels solid and weighty. As for the screen thrown about in the car and a rucksack; the screen doesn't have a single scratch, so I can only assume that the folk who have complained of scratching must give it real hard time.

**footnote** Not of much use up here (top Scotland). And I haven't worked out the push to talk or IM on this phone (Orange software?)

• Battery Life