Webley Longbow Review

• Accuracy

• Handling

RalphButler's review of Webley Longbow

“I bought my Webly Longbow in February 2005 from a...”

Written on: 11/03/2006 by RalphButler (1 review written)

Superb accuracy
Nice stock
Ballance is second to none
1/2 UNF silencer thread
Deep Bluing

Recoil (but not the morst out there)

General Comments
I bought my Webly Longbow in February 2005 from a local gunshop in Stafford. With it I got a Webley 4x32 and some low Webley mounts along with a BSA SAS silencer.

I chose the more manly .22 calibre as I was planning to use it for conies although with hindsight I believe .177 would of been a better choice due to the flatter trajectory.

When I got it home I bolted the scope on and dashed into my 25 metre range in the garden to zero it in. Accuracy was nothing short of outstanding with one hole groups with Accupels easily achived from a bean bag rest.

The first time I went out with the longbow was on my uncles farm and in just under two and a half hours I bagged two conies another testement to this rifles stunning power and accuracy.

The balance and build quality of this rifle are second to none. The weight of the rifle is more towards the rear which gives the impression of a lighter rifle without suffering the downfalls of a true lightweight, (i.e harder to perfect your followthrough technique as it is less stable than a heavier rifle). Webley are renowned for their deep bluing and the longbow is no exception. This coupled with a gorgeous stock ,even in the beech option, make for an aesthetically pleasing rifle and one that you are proud to own.

One problen that I did have with the longbow was the recoil. Now this rifle dosn't kick like a mule but it had enough lash in it to result in some scope creep (especially with the cheap mounts I was using). This was easily rectified by buying a quaity one piece BSA Scopemaster mount which are, to me, the muts nuts of scope mounts.

Around two weeks ago I replaced the 4x32 scope with a Richter Optik 3-9x50IR on two piece pro-mounts, unforunatly the BSA mounts were to low, which have withstood the rifles recoil well. Just make sure you get some good quality mounts.

One year on I think I can safely say that I have made the right choice. The longbow wipes the floor with and other competitor in the entry level springer group (around the £200 mark). In my opinion I don't think you can ask much more from a springer.

Unfortunatly the Webley name is now up for sale and the longbow model discontinued, but if one does come your way on the second hand market take a look, you won't be disappointed.

• Accuracy

• Handling

Lou Grant's Response to 233526_RalphButler's Review

Written on: 12/04/2006

The Webley Longbow is superbly accurate, it has an excellent balance with a beautiful 1/2 UNF silencer thread. In my opinion you would need to travel a long way to better this for the money, added to though it has a gaurantee, as one woold expect, I would be surprised if ever needed to use it.

Kenbu's Response to 233526_RalphButler's Review

Written on: 05/06/2009

I found this review helpful because...I`ve just bought an identical set-up;0.22 Brummie Longbow/SAS silencer,mine is running milder at 10.8 foot/lbs,but the shot to shot consistancy is amazing,with Webley Mosquitoes or Large (5.52mm) Defiants.A V-Mach tune up is now on my list of "things to do"!