MG ZR 160 Review

• Performance

• Practicality

• Reliability

Blade.'s review of MG ZR 160

“Fast As a cheetah, can keep up with most things on the...”

Written on: 18/03/2003 by Blade. (1 review written)

Every Aspect

Interior needs to be a bit more up to date.

General Comments
Fast As a cheetah, can keep up with most things on the road and sayin that i have kept up with a lot of performance cars, as for the focus RS that car tends to get rather small in my rear mirror, and i cant wait for the 1.8 turbo unit to be bought out and there is talk about putting a 2liter KV6 under the bonnet now that sounds interesting. The only thing i can say about it is dont underestimate what power it has got cos you might be a bit embarised if you challenge 1. Also you will find you do become a bit popular if you do like i did and have the light sensative paint, also there are a few more mods under the bonnet cranking the power upto a staggering 280-300bhp and i think NOS is the next stage.

• Performance

• Practicality

• Reliability

92768_Tommy.'s Response to 80983_Blade.'s Review

Written on: 27/04/2003

Great geezer you are! You know what you are talking about! What is your favourite colour in the MG ZR and if you own one then what model is it? BMW'S are rubbish! British quality is the best! Do you have any MG merchandise? I have a MG baseball cap from the official MG site. What do you think of the new in production MG Xpower SV?
<br> Good Geezer mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

324205_Wild Buck's Response to 80983_Blade.'s Review

Written on: 13/11/2007

I don't agree with most if the chumps on here, like I said on my review everyone hates the MG ZR until they drive one,and as for racing BMW's I have raced 2, a 318is and a 735, for those of you who don't know what that is its a 3.5 v8,admitably on the top end it would beat me but 1/4 mile not a chance,the ZR isn't made for top end its more of a circuit car,and those of you who say civic type R, Clio 172, Cupra R will smoke the ZR, it is evenly matched buy all these cars so what if they have more BHP,the ZR 160 is very quick and will give any of the listed cars a spanking,also you will pay a lot more for the others too,stop chatting a load of rubbish and try racing me in my ZR,you will only embarrass yourself!

Wiseguise's Response to 80983_Blade.'s Review

Written on: 11/05/2004

Look, lets be brutally honest here. The ZR160 is an OK car for the money, but thats about it. After working for MG Rover directly, test driving the cars in various tune form from prototype phases, owning and subsequently selling the car (a lemon) I feel I am qualified to write here.
<br>
<br>What you do get is reasonable power and handling, but try chasing a Cupra or Cupra R Leon, or a Civic type R round an Island, wet or dry, and you will lose. EOS.
<br>
<br>Try staying with one from the lights, wet or dry, and you will lose. EOS.
<br>
<br>Try a combination point to point sprint against either and you will lose.
<br>Enough said??
<br>
<br>As for the one above who thinks BMW's cant keep up .... what was it flashing its lights? I noticed no model number. At a guess it would be a C1 !!!
<br>
<br>Come on you lot, this is a review centre and reality is supposed to play a big part. Suggesting that the ZR160 is in the league you hope and wish for it to be in v's the one it is actually in is a big difference.
<br>
<br>I have friends and Ex colleagues who drive a range of the X Power cars, good drivers, test drivers and just plain old value for money drivers. Each one of them knows the ZR160 will be eaten alive by anything in the Super Hatch bracket, Focus RS, Cupra, Type R, RenaultSport Megane 225 etc etc. It is not meant to rival these models. It is a hot hatch, a different category altogether.
<br>
<br>So, please, please dont be misguided by some comments above. The MG is an OK car with an OK engine with a nice turn of pace. It is not a serious rival of anything I have seen it compared to above pretty much.
<br>
<br>Buy it for value for money, buy it if you dont care about residual values, buy it if you can get on the friends and family scheme, buy it if you like how it looks, how it handles, how it goes, or any other good reason
<br>
<br>..... but dont buy it to try and chase a Super Hatch, an M3, S3, etc etc. You will be upset.

Catty's Response to 80983_Blade.'s Review

Written on: 18/04/2004

I have bought a ZR160 and I watched a BMW disappear in my rear view mirror as he came up behind me flashing his lights, I drove a M3 Evo when I worked in the motor trade and it was rubbish!

Samm's Response to 80983_Blade.'s Review

Written on: 19/03/2004

OK- I think this car has a great engine & handling but come on, there are quite a few cars for the same price that will thrash it.
<br>I havent driven it but I have driven a Civic Type R and I doubt it would beat that. Even my 205 mi16 will beat it- 185bhp=203bhp per tonne, the ZR has around 125bhp per tonne, not impressive at all.
<br>Clio Cup-
<br>Focus RS
<br>Civic Type R
<br>Leon Cupra 212 or 225
<br>I think it's great this is a British car but it needs improving, hopefully there will be a revised version that will sort this out.
<br>By the way, I think the MR2 TURBO REV 3 is probably the best all round car you can get for the money.

Carlleeds's Response to 80983_Blade.'s Review

Written on: 09/01/2004

I own an MG ZR and the sooner the contact hire period through my firm finishes the better. This car is an absolute lemon. Anything that can go wrong has. Starter motor hanging out of block, power steering fluid leeked out. Side sills put on 4 times!!! as they kept coming off just a few examples.
<br>
<br>As for performance its ok and looks great. But this argument and competition between Fritz cars and MG's well there is no competition Beemers and Mercs are in a different league. Its ok saying MG's are cheap, they are cheap, cheap and tacky and poorly built.
<br>
<br>German cars are built to last and fast. I hate to say it and it breaks my heart I love British cars but cars from the continent are better period!

121220_Thecardealer.'s Response to 80983_Blade.'s Review

Written on: 03/08/2003

Hi,I own a ZR160 VVC.I also deal in MR2 GT,ROVER COUPES,FORD RS so I do have a say really?!The MG is by far the best looking NEW CAR on the road today for the money.Looks,performance and those seats and wheels.There is cars out there that will thrash it but you take the same cars on country lanes and the ZR160 will make you proud.My brother owns a CHRYSLER MINI COOPER S and in a flat out road race they are like for like but the ZR still edges it..just!Remember the Rover 220 TURBO COUPE??0-60 in 5.5 and 150 mph from 200bhp as standard,just imagine the ZR with that kind of power.All in all to be fair the ZR is great,its not a rover its an MG..SIMPLE!

Rich Ko.'s Response to 80983_Blade.'s Review

Written on: 25/06/2003

I have only just bought my MG ZR 160. I would not buy a german car for all the money in the world - I do not like them for various reasons. Maybe they are fast maybe they are nice driving down the autobahn. Still no cars!. Back in the 60th (yes guys I am that old" I owned a MGA twincam. Never had so much fun then and I tell you - shifting from a styled Peugeot 206 GTi to the ZR - is not only a nostalic trip It is again fun to drive a car that stands out. Really!

109826_Xpower.'s Response to 80983_Blade.'s Review

Written on: 23/06/2003

You know you guy's in your BMW's MSport's dissapoint me, my Mr2Turbo eats you guys for breakfast.. and it's only a 2litre 4cylinder rice rocket 4.5 0-60 (before NOS). So a quote from the fast and the furious would be 'Cee-Yaa' as the 100shot of NOS injects.
<br>
<br>As for My X-Power ZR ok so its not as fast but it still looks better than your German Tank or feeble Z3 Girly car.

109823_Xpower.'s Response to 80983_Blade.'s Review

Written on: 23/06/2003

Alpina and RAC you both are obviously German... Cos you like bland German cars. Merc's BMW's there all the same (English Dictionary:BLAND).. Heir Snitz!!!
<br>
<br>I owned a Mk2 Mr2Turbo (245bhp) before my X-Power ZR, and iv'e not been dissapointed since the purchase, try telling me i dont know what im talking about.
<br>
<br>The ZR is a great British Motor! it aint no Rover Metro.

105907_Magic.'s Response to 80983_Blade.'s Review

Written on: 10/06/2003

Sorry I think all you BMW/Merc/Nissan owners are getting the wrong end of the stick... Of Course a T5 Volvo is going to be faster than the ZR 160, and the Audi RS6 and of course the Saab 95 Aero but at the end of the day how much do they all cost??? Exactly!!!
<br>
<br>And the ZR 160 might not be quicker that the RS but at the end of the day the RS Focus is a Ford!! Enough Said!
<br>
<br>I suppose all you BMW alpina German monkeys are going to tell us you race and thrash Porsche GT2's and Ferrari's next!! :)

105467_Sam.'s Response to 80983_Blade.'s Review

Written on: 09/06/2003

Where do you get the idea a 160bhp MG can beat any BMW? My BMW Z3 Msport destroyed a MG zr160 with ease.I even slowed down abit, then killed it again! Oh and as for the RSfocus, you are joking right? there around the 200bhp mark, so unless your running NOS, keep dreaming mate.
<br>Just for your info i seen one of them new ZT's being road tested, there 340+bhp and look ok, the driver gave me a funny look so when we got to bristol road near MG's plant i thought i would show him MSPORT power!.I dont think he has ever seen a car pull of so quick, my baby does 0-60 in 4.2 seconds, and yes, it has been slightly tuned but even as standard no MG is capable of keeping up with any of the Msports.

102107_Rac.'s Response to 80983_Blade.'s Review

Written on: 28/05/2003

well said alpina!

100785_Alpina.'s Response to 80983_Blade.'s Review

Written on: 23/05/2003

maybe one day you will get a ride in a real performance car and then you will chnage your mind.
<br>I currently own a 230bhp RS, my mate owns a 600bhp nissan R33 skyline and my brother owns a BMW Alpina.
<br>These are real performance cars, nuff said. Wake up my friend your living in dream land.

100092_Hey, Come Talk To The Girls!!!.'s Response to 80983_Blade.'s Review

Written on: 21/05/2003

Francesca, Billietta, and that blanket RAC, man, you guys, you are real funny! no I mean it, oh and also mean this, you guys are also totally talking trash!
<br>
<br>So, what about the MG ZT/ZS/ZR's then? (not to mention the expected V8 version of the ZT with around 380+BHP on tap, in a very, very mild state of tune) the 800 Vitesse Sport? 620Ti? 220 Turbo Coupe/GTi? these not fast and sharp handling cars? oh that's right, they are! let's not forget girls, the Bi-turbo Metro 6r4, with around 700bhp! and around 480 for the n/a car, not such a good argument I know, as you don't get to see them that often, but there is nothing outside a single seater in the CART or F1 circus which could beat it!
<br>BMW's? overpriced tosh maties, expensive, poor handling, tend to be favoured by people with no taste or imagination, too much money.
<br>
<br>Toodloo ladies, don't forget to pick up your Canesten Combi Thrush treatment medication from the Chemists...

99013_Snique.'s Response to 80983_Blade.'s Review

Written on: 18/05/2003

I have a 160 and I agree it is very fast and has superb handling ... I can't wait until they bring out the turbo.. I will be buying one.... If you have one take it to janspeed and get the extra 20bhp it costs around £1000... Your right about the interior, it needs an update.....

Rac.'s Response to 80983_Blade.'s Review

Written on: 18/05/2003

How can you say that a zr 160 is faster than a focus RS? the focus goes quicker 0-60 by at a second and has a higher max speed. the zr looks nice but it isnt quick!
<br>
<br>Just a little list of cars that would wipe that smile off your face (they arent even sports cars either!)
<br>
<br>- Volvo V70 T5 (estate car)
<br>- Audi RS6 (estate car)
<br>- Saab 95 Aero (estate car)
<br>
<br>fair enough the zr has a 0-60 time of 7.3 seconds but anyone of the above cars would thrash the Mg, if you had a 60 000 pound x-power then i'd respect your opinion. even then though the new volvo v70 R (estate) would thrash you, pip yourself against the big boys and you zr drivers come unstuck!
<br>
<br>race a mini cooper s, you'll have a good view of its rear end, something you are familiar with as you speak out of it.

98422_Bill.'s Response to 80983_Blade.'s Review

Written on: 16/05/2003

Fantasy land!!! O.k so you think that your 160bhp ROVER is faster than a 215bph Focus? Hmmm! I test drove a 160bhp ZR and it felt like the origional 1.4 16v!

95803_Frank.'s Response to 80983_Blade.'s Review

Written on: 08/05/2003

How can you say this, at the end of the day you are driving a Rover, a Rover chasis. I mean come on Rovers arent the most inspiring of cars, bought by older people and used as mobile chicanes. BMW's garbage?? hmmm I think you have been with your Rover too long and are blinded. Hey maybe you could swap your car in and get a Metro, because a Metro is the Best car that was ever produced, well in your eyes probably