Yamaha MCRE300 Review

• Sound Quality

ahank's review of Yamaha MCRE300

Yamaha MCRE300

“I have just bought the Yamaha MCR-E300 micro system at...”

Written on: 04/03/2006 by ahank (1 review written)

Great sound.
Classy look.
Affordable.

Slightly dated (lack of bells and whistles).

General Comments
I have just bought the Yamaha MCR-E300 micro system at Costco for $200. The sound is exceptional! I've always been a fan of Yamaha "Natural Sound" amplifiers. I bought a Yamaha Natural Sound amplifier in 1985 and used it for 20 years. I listen to just about everything: vocal, opera, jazz, classical, Broadway, country, and rock etc.

This Yamaha system claims 25W+25W output power and 0.1% THD. Last week I purchased a "125W" system for $90. That system sounded so bad I could barely listen to it. This Yamaha system sounds so much better, you can't even compare the two. This mega-power fad (1000W home theater systems) is producing a lot of really bad audio systems. Fortunately, this Yamaha is not part of the fad.

This system does lack some of the newer bells and whistles, like MP3, WMA, and iPod display. The Blue LED dot matrix display is a little dated. I would prefer an optical encoder over the motorized volume control. But if you want great sound, have an iPod or MP3 player, and can find one of these for $200, go for it!

• Sound Quality