Caerphilly, South Wales Bryn Meadows Golf & Country Hotel Review

mabdevil's review of Caerphilly, South Wales Bryn Meadows Golf and Country Hotel

“I reckon this must be our fourth visit to Cardiff for...”

Written on: 28/02/2006 by mabdevil (28 reviews written)

4* Hotel. Clean, quiet, friendly atmosphere. Excellent facilities, good food, great views. Staff very professional, yet friendly and helpful.

We had to leave!

General Comments
I reckon this must be our fourth visit to Cardiff for a big football match, but previously, we have stayed in a small Guest House literally a stone's throw from the Millennium Stadium (The Anchorage, in Fitzhamon Terrace, which is pretty nice). This time, we were a little later in confirming our tickets, so the Guest Houses in the area around the Stadium were fully booked, so a wider search was necessary.

I used Laterooms to search for available rooms for the weekend and came up with Bryn Meadows Golf and Country Club. I couldn't find any reviews on this place, but visited the Website and it did look good: http://www.brynmeadows.co.uk/bryn.htm

We were in booked into one of the hotel rooms and we were given an upstairs room - there are just the 2 floors - and we were a little way from reception, but this is a positive thing for me, as I am a light sleeper and this would mean less passing 'traffic' and a better night's sleep.

The room we were given was simply amazing, to be honest. Very clean and tidy and well decorated, but without a smell of brand new! Also, being a non-smoking room (I think all the rooms are such); there was no stale tobacco smell, either. All the furniture was of a good quality, but not over-stated. There was an electronic safe in the bottom of the large wardrobe, which had plenty of hanging and shelf space. There was a flat screen TV, which also allowed Internet access as well as the usual hotel TV channels. This TV also allowed the viewing of your bill, any messages and the rental of films. There was also a nice, big and extremely comfortable sofa and the main feature, an enormous bed. No expense spared, to be honest, and you will need a map to find you way around this huge bed, which was also the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in! There were En Suite facilities, with the basin in a recess in the main room and a separate bathroom and toilet. The best thing, though, as a bit of a gimmick, was another TV in the BATHROOM! How spoiled? You could lay in the deep bath and relax with the TV on! For the smokers, though, there is a nice-sized balcony to sneak outside for a crafty drag!

All of the staff members were extremely helpful, friendly and polite. Nothing is too much trouble, but don't get me wrong, though. They were not over the top and too subservient, which is a really good point. Also, there was a Maid service every day to clean and tidy and the towels were changed as required. The bed was also made if you hadn't already made the effort!

Included in the price is the use of the leisure centre, which includes an 18 metre heated pool, spa, Jacuzzi, steam room and large, well-equipped gym. We used the pool and it was superb. There were lifeguards on duty and the water was warm and very clean. The changing rooms were clean, too, and clean towels provided. The only downside, so Donna tells me, was that the ladies' changing room was freezing cold and she was told by a regular member that this is always the case. Still, get changed quickly and you'll hardly notice! We didn't use the gym or other facilities, but all seemed pretty popular!

Outside, the surrounding area was immaculate, with teams going round every morning sweeping, mowing and tidying. As it is part of a golf and country club, obviously there is work being done on the course pretty much as soon as the sun is up, but we were not disturbed.

Food from the bar is simple but freshly prepared and tasty. Usual stuff, like sandwiches (toasted!), burgers, ham or sausage, egg and chips, baguettes, etc. Not too expensive, either. Staff friendly, if not a little cheeky!! The menu for the restaurant was a little broader, but as there was a dress code, we couldn't go in, as I only had jeans with me. Breakfast is a self service buffet, with the food replenished regularly. There are selections of juices, cereals, cooked breakfast (sausages, eggs, hash browns, etc) continental-style (croissants, meats, cheeses, etc.) and these are eaten in the conservatory, overlooking the side of the mountain on which the complex is located.

I would certainly recommend a stay here and I am sure we will be going back if the Multiplex don't get Wembley Stadium finished soon! I would also stay here if we were to return to the area for a nice, relaxing break. This time, although we were off to the Cup Final, we also wanted nice, relaxing weekend break. Access into Cardiff from Bryn Meadows is pretty good and takes around 20 to 25 minutes (ish) by car. I think there is a local train station with trains into the Welsh Capital, but we chose to drive. Top weekend!