Sony DAV-S880 Review

• Sound Quality

• Ease of Set Up

Steven Tucker.'s review of Sony DAV-S880

Sony DAV-S880

“I bought this Sony DAV-S880 system as a replacement of...”

Written on: 12/03/2003 by Steven Tucker. (1 review written)

Design, picture quality, movie playback sound quality, build quality, and ease of use.

Playback sound quality of standard audio CD, and Sony support.

General Comments
I bought this Sony DAV-S880 system as a replacement of my old hifi separates. The reason I bought this system was because it was in my price range and has everything I require and looks the part in my living room.

When playing back DVD movies this system is faultless, the picture quality is perfect and the sound will blow you away. The system itself is a lesson in build quality and design. I can't find a single fault. This system has progressive scan so is a perfect match for plasma screens.

For playing back CDs the sound quality is poor to average when compared to an entry level separates system. The treble is clear and precise but the small cone satellite speakers struggle with the mid and bass and are left wanting and lacking. The bass pumped out of the subwoofer is frequently blurred. Switch to Dolby ProLogic II (music) mode for audio CDs and the problems are still not fully addressed and you are still left wanting. The only way to solve this problem would be to buy an expensive separates system that the speakers alone would cost more than this whole system. In saying this when playing back SACD (an enhanced form of CD) the sound quality will blow you away and is the best audio sound for music I have ever heard. Let's hope all releases of CDs will be SACD! Stunning.

I found the system easy to setup up and use. I like the remote.

Better hope that you do not get a faulty system as the Sony support (fixed or replaced) for this product will takes weeks or even months to correct.

For the money - I paid under £600 at EmpireDirect.co.uk - this is currently the best all in one system you can buy for this money. There is no doubting that.

90442_Chris.'s Response to Steven Tucker.'s Review