Orange SPV Review

• Reception

• Style

Richard Sum.'s review of Orange SPV

Orange SPV

“The phone looks pleasing to the eye, it is not heavy...”

Written on: 11/03/2003 by Richard Sum. (1 review written)

Cheap to buy.

Slow applications
Poor menu
Low battery life
Poor reception

General Comments
The phone looks pleasing to the eye, it is not heavy and fits easily into a coat pocket. The menu system is slow and at times seems almost non-responsive. The camera once connected makes the device clumsy and its picture is unstable..you need a steady hand for this one. Playback of multimedia is acceptable in sound form but the video is 'jerky' at best, leaving playback as a gimmic, and not a usable feature. The SPV battery life lasts about 18 hours if its used infrequently, so its not for the heavy users unless you have spare batteries. Add to that poor reception and its ability to disconnect in the middle of a call and you begin to realise owning one may be a mistake. The truth is for PDA or phone functions the SPV is a very poor effort. I have now sent mine back, I cant wait to get my hands on a Sony P800. I hear they are the best thing since sliced bread.

• Reception

• Style

82609_Killroy.'s Response to 79020_Richard Sum.'s Review

Written on: 24/03/2003

I agree with a lot of users to say that the spv is poor! We have been testing the SPV as a business phone and are not impressed. Things I noticed: Before the upgrade: the back light would come on at the touch of of any button, the battery life was poor. After the upgrade: back light problem resolved but was finding that I was answering incoming calls just by trying to take it out of it's case. The internet explorer would crash when trying to cancel a connection (take out the battery), signal strength was very weak in places where it was stronger with other models. Switching network providers was a nightmare (tried it in the UK, Ireland & Switzerland). In the UK I was receiving a SIM manager error asking me to turn off the radio etc (radio wasn't even on --- take out the battery). Ireland was poor and found that some calls were being terminated which was depressing. On the features front, the keys are small and it's not easy when trying to compose any type of message. The display is very good and navigation is easy (just takes a bit of getting used to). The sound and playback from the media player were very jumpy and having the camera is a waste of time. I won't go much into the media side of things because I feel these are gadets that kids love to have. The fact that you get a case for the phone but you have to carry the camera in one of your pockets...hhmmm. On the calendar and tasks side of things, I found the SPV very good. Syncronising between outlook and the SPV is fast and reliable and does the job very well and that's about it. Pity about the applications side of things and I'm not prepared to hack the phone to get it the way I want it. All in all, I still don't want it. If you going to use it as a business phone, it's unreliable, unstable and requires upgrades. The keys are too small and it's not easy to move quickly around the keypad (the list goes on). But if you like a colouful display, taking photos (good lighting required) and do not need it as a business phone, it's probably a good buy. The price is fair. The SPV is still more on the mobile phone side of things than a pda but in saying that I had most problems trying to use it as a mobile phone. But then again, that's my opinion, other users say it's cool etc. I think not. Time to have a look at the P800.

87475_Kid.'s Response to 79020_Richard Sum.'s Review

Written on: 09/04/2003

SPV looks and sounds nice, but is a nightmare to use. Slow response and confusing navigation. More of a toy than a phone.