O2 XDA 2 Review

• Reception

• Style

gosteve's review of O2 XDA 2

O2 XDA 2

“I have had my O2 XDA 2 mobile phone for just over 18...”

Written on: 10/02/2006 by gosteve (1 review written)

This PDA/Phone/Camera has everything you could ever want, except reliability.

This unit is the least reliable piece of technology I, and it appears many other XDA purchasers, have ever owned.

General Comments
I have had my O2 XDA 2 mobile phone for just over 18 months. I have not used it for the last 5 months. It is still in the repair centre! This time having the third main board replaced.

From the day I purchased it, the unit has crashed repeatedly. Endless enquiries to the support hotline were of no assistance. Finally, in absolute frustration, I took it to the repair centre where the main board was replaced - not an inexpensive exercise ($hk 1250). After the repair, the unit did not crash for about 3 weeks. Then the headset stopped working, and then when it did crash again it could not be reset. The outcome? Another main board - fortunately under warranty. After this second repair the unit worked for another three weeks before the speaker stopped working. The outcome? You guessed it - another main board failure. This time the repair centre want $hk 3230 to effect the repair, which is about half the price of a new unit. Needless to say I have finally had enough, and I am going to cut my losses.

If you think I am the only poor schmuk who has had problems with this unit... Thing again! I only know two other people who bought an XDA2. One has had a much worse time with it than I have, and the other has had problems, but not as bad as mine. After intense pressure from the first of these guys, O2 finally replaced the whole unit with a brand new one, which turned out to be even worse. The other guy has been plagued with crashes and phone problems, and he too is more than a little disgusted with his XDA. When they are working the XDA 2's are excellent, it is just that they don't work very often from what I can see.

If you buy one of these units, I hope you have deep pocket and a high frustration threshold. Please do your research before you buy!

• Battery Life