Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2 Review

• Ease of Set Up

mushymarlil's review of Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2

Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2

“I have had this Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2 Motherboard...”

Written on: 07/02/2006 by mushymarlil (1 review written)

Very Reliable And Stable, Easy To Set Up

Layout Could Be Better

General Comments
I have had this Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2 Motherboard for about 2 years now and I'm running an AMD ATHLON XP 2800+ the processor stays at about 45-50deg.c when on 100%load and the same when idle, 25-30deg.c when on standby and the case temperature is round about 20-25deg.c i have an ATI RADEON 9800 ALL IN WONDER PRO and because all the exhaust fans are above the card it tends to get quite hot but i'll change that with a new cooler for my card, I have coolers on my 2 stripped RAID HDD's they run perfectly with no errors at all - the motherboard itself gets to about 35-40deg.c which when considering my case temperature, is very hot, most boards run just above ambient temperature so i'll see about getting a heatsink with a fan on for my board (its the standard heatsink at present). When I first set my PC up I found it really easy to do, didn't find any problems and some people say that when updating the dual bios it wipes both bios for some reason - mine only updates one bios and leaves the other bios as standard but I have a backup of both bios just in case. I bought this board for around £65 and I use my system intensively sometimes being on and at 100% load for often up to 7 days at a time, I play a lot of games and do quite a bit of video editing, this board is by far the best I have found. I also have 4GB of dual channel PC3200 RAM 1GB on each slot and I have had no problem with that either, the only fault I can find with this otherwise perfect board is that some of the slots are difficult to get to when the pc is set up, meaning if I want to take anything out i have to unplug several things to get to the one I want - but in my books that's not a problem that would make me change my board. The software I cant find a fault with apart from when windows tried to update my sound card driver (on board, as standard) - It does not do it properly and I have to install from the cd again but even the standard sound card drivers I have no problem with - all round a great board.

• Ease of Set Up

• Over 1 Year

Time Motherboard Owned

Willyboy's Response to mushymarlil's Review

Written on: 11/11/2006

You must have been very lucky getting all 4 slots to work, as it only recommends you use 3Gb max of memory with the Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2, but in actual fact, it only allows 1.5Gb, or it lowers from 400 to 333 as it will not boot (got this from Gigabyte). Also, in dual channel, the max that can be used is therefore 2 x 512, as using more memory actually slows it down.
<br>
<br/>Let's know how you managed it Mushi, as I want to do it to mine.

Mushymarlil's Response to mushymarlil's Review

Written on: 29/12/2007

I have updated my bios. This might have helped. I'm not sure what I did to be honest, but I'm still running the Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2 motherboard with no problems. It did have problems when I put RAM sticks into the purple slots. They worked fine in the orange slots, but was temporary in the other set; not sure why. But I'm only running 1Gb of RAM now. 2 x 512mb Corsair xXMS PC 3200 (400Mhz 2-2-5-2 timings) at 2.7v I believe.