Tom Tom One Review

• Clarity of Instructions

• Map Accuracy

paradise's review of Tom Tom One

Tom Tom One

“Apparently the Tom Tom One was brought out after the...”

Written on: 28/01/2006 by paradise (27 reviews written)

Just plug in and go (perfect for us blondes). Slim portable design. Touch screen operation, Very clear screen with 2D or 3D maps. Door to door plannning including use of full postcodes. Review route before you start.

Puts my house location in the next road than me for some reason. No AC adaptor included only in-car charger which really isn't a problem.

General Comments
Apparently the Tom Tom One was brought out after the very popular Tom Tom Go 300, etc. I opted for the Tom Tom One rather than the Go 300 for the following reasons. (1) much slimmer more portable design, the Go 300 looked very boxy although cosmetically better, but I would find that hard putting into my handbag with is being so bulky. (2) Tom One has the exact menu and touch screen as the Go 300. (3) Tom One comes with the same accessories, both without AC Adaptor which is £19.99 extra. (4) Tom Tom One Has a slightly faster processor compared with the Go 300. (5) Has a integrated GPS receiver based on SiRF Star III chip with 20 channels. (6) As with the Go it has choice of routes, fastest, shortest, avoiding toll roads, etc. (7) itinerary Planning: Plan your trip by defining multiple waypoints and destinations. (8) Integrated GPS Antenna. (9) Multi Lingual: Speaks more than 30 languages in over 50 voices. (10) User Interface: Now including 18 languages. (11) Postcode Navigation: For simple and accurate selection of your destination (UK & NL only). (12) Loads of Points of Interest available. (13) Able to save personal favorite addresses for quick route planning. (14) Displays compass on screen to have even better orientation while driving. (15) Car Speed Linked Volume, voice instructions will increase/decrease depending on speed of car. (16) Anti-Glare Screen (17) Built-in Bluetooth Connection (18) Ready for TomTom PLUS services. Technical specification can be found at www.tomtom.com. Tom Tom One is an entry level sat nav. £50 cheaper than the Go 300. Why did I pick the Tom Tom One over the Tom Tom Go 300, basically because of it's slim design making it more handable and portable. Slightly faster processor and Star chip. Picks up loads of satellites without any problem. Clear easy to use. Battery life is meant to be less than the Go 300 but you can plug it into the car charger so whats the problem. It lasted for 3 1/2 hours before the battery light started flashing. You can buy double adaptors off the internet (approx. £5),so you can plug in your sat nav and mobile at the same time. If you find it cheaper on the internet I would pop to your local store and see if they want the business and price match - I had no problems in price matching the lowest price on the internet. I'd give this entry level sat nav - 8/10. If you want a good value for money with a little more gadget on it then I would recommend the Mitec Mio 268+ a little more complicated to use but good value at £250. I wanted something for a 'blonde', therefore Tom Tom One has my thumbs up.

Joymal's Response to paradise's Review

Written on: 13/02/2006

I've just bought one for the same reasons although this is the first day so I can't add too much comment. I found this review extremely useful though although having checked the TomTom web site I couldn't determine whether in fact there are upgrades for this model. The Go300/500/700 are mentioned but not TomTom One. Hopefully I will discover the information sooner or later.

176891_Bombom101's Response to paradise's Review

Written on: 05/01/2007

I work at Halfords, and I find that the TomTom One's aren't very reliable. I would choose Garmin 310ds or C510ds over TomTom's stuff any day.

Paradise's Response to paradise's Review

Written on: 22/05/2006

In response to KN comments - It's personal choice when it comes to these Sat Nav's. I've seen some reviews on the Garmin i3 and some have stated poor signal quality and that it kept losing signal. Sat Nav's are dropping in price since I purchased the Tom Tom One. Personally one of the features I do like about the TTone is that I can pop it into my handbag, unlike the Garmin i3 which looks a little like the Tom Tom Go series, that would be too bulky in a woman's handbag. Ok, so you can leave it in the boot whilst your out and about, but no so good if you are using if going for a long walk or navigating by foot in an familier town/place. Also, in very bright sunlight I can still see my screen, unlike my husband's Mio 268 which he finds impossible to see - worth baring in mind.

Kn's Response to paradise's Review

Written on: 19/05/2006

That was a very helpful comment. I am currently deciding between a tomtom one and a garmin i3. which would you recommend??

Paradise's Response to paradise's Review

Written on: 15/02/2006

A very helpful forum regarding any sat navs problems can be found at: -
http://pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=29. You can join free and ask any questions regarding problems you may have and get a quick response. Also you'll be able to download updates but first check out the tom tom official websites. The software I have on my sat nav is 5.410.
Also, one more thing, I had the following answer from the official tom tom website support team regarding POI's, you can download extra POI's from 3rd parties who they recognise - see their response to my question about POI's on my Tom Tom One:-
The POI database for shops is for car part shops and is a rough guideline . The database for POI's is not 100% accurate . There are 3rd party POI files available for download at various sites if you require more specific POI location . Please check the sites mentioned at the below location .
From the The TomTom Customer Support Team