Sony Ericsson T300 Review

• Reception

• Style

Rit.'s review of Sony Ericsson T300

Sony Ericsson T300

“I used to have a Nokia 8310 before this Sony Ericsson...”

Written on: 06/03/2003 by Rit. (1 review written)

Works, polyphonic tones, tri band, has a colour screen.

Slow to write text messages, slow to use menus, slow to use wap, colour screen isn't great, not too many features.

General Comments
I used to have a Nokia 8310 before this Sony Ericsson T300. This phone is probably better in that it works, gives reception, doesn't crash! The polyphonic tones are cool too, specially if you haven't had them before. It's not a perfect phone though.

This phone is small, but noticeably chunky compared to the 8310. You can feel it in your pocket! Also the colour screen is just a token gesture to having colour, being only 256 colour. It's not much use at all. The camera is a nice extra if you like sending MMS messages to the 1 or 2 friends who may have an MMS enabled phone. I sold mine on ebay though - people are willing to pay a lot of money for what is a bad quality camera. Another thing, there's no calendar on this phone which is annoying, just a less powerful "Events" feature. Also the software available from Sony Ericsson doesn't enable you to do as much as the Nokia PC Suite. These are just minor niggles.

The main thing which gets to me about the phone is the SLOWNESS. It's the same as the T68. When you write a text message there's a nice graphical interface. The predictive text is always a few seconds behind you at showing what you're typing on the screen. A few seconds doesn't sound like a lot but it is! Takes a lot lot longer than it ever did on any of my old Nokias (I've previously owned the 3210, 6210, 8310). Also, the buttons make a HUGE clicking sound, what's that all about? Sounds like you're sending morse code when writing a text, you can't be discrete!

This slowness also applies to using WAP. The display is slow to update, and writing messages in text boxes uses the same system as SMS, so it's slow again. As a result, I find myself using it far less which has a positive effect on my monthly bill. May consider taking GPRS off my tariff - the extra speed isn't worth anything when my phone slows me down even more, and besides I don't use it so much now.

Overall it's a decent phone, not great though. I think I'll go back to Nokia for my next phone, providing they've sorted out their problems. I honestly don't think you can beat them for ease of use. The 6100 looks to be a good bet whenever it's released =

• Reception