Reethi Beach Resort, Baa Atoll, The Maldives Review

samphil's review of Reethi Beach Resort, Baa Atoll, The Maldives

“Reethi Beach is one of my favourite Maldivian resorts...”

Written on: 11/01/2006 by samphil (2 reviews written)

Nice wooden beach furniture; lovely lagoon; fantastic bar area; decent food; good spa

None!

General Comments
Reethi Beach is one of my favourite Maldivian resorts (been to 5 so far): it has bizarre-looking rooms (we had a deluxe villa) with funny wicker furniture (chairs and lamps) but given the only time you spend in your room you are asleep, it doesn't really matter. The bathroom was spectacular -- as is traditional, half of it open to the elements, with a little feng shui garden thing: and marble everywhere. We got little notes in our room every day telling us what the weather was going to be like the next day (a bit like the weather report in Good Morning, Vietnam! "it's going to be hot and sunny"!) which was a good touch. The bar area is great on Reethi Beach -- really comfortable chairs and very good for lounging in, overlooking the nicest part of the lagoon, but with plenty of trees to keep you shady. They do a nice line in bar snacks just before dinner as well, with home-made things you think wouldn't work (spicy fried plantain chips -- yum) which are good to try. There are also plenty of watersports to watch or participate in -- we took a catamaran out (dull sailing compared to Poole Harbour as the winds and waves are entirely predictable and very gentle, but that's not their fault) and they have water-skiing, and other activities that are fun to watch even if you don't participate in. While we were there, people in the water bungalows saw dolphins more than once -- we saw dolphins when we went out on boat trips, and once we got up at sunrise to watch the dolphins from the jetty. They also feed the manta rays every day at 5 o'clock and that is fun to watch. Snorkelling is OK but not the best I've seen (though if you've never been to the Maldives before you will still be blown away by the fish), but they do have snorkelling safaris to other sites where you can see more. The food is good and a wide variety so even someone like me who is very picky always found enough to eat. If you go, take mosquito repellant because although we weren't bothered by mossies on the island, if you take the day trips to the local fishermans island or the local atoll capital island (worth doing as it is really interesting and you might get to see dolphins on the way back!) then you'll want to slather yourself in mossie repellant or (as I did) get eaten alive. One of the best (for me) Maldivian islands: I like a relatively quiet island, with a good lagoon, decent snorkelling and a nice bar area and no plastic chairs. I've recommended this island to friends of mine going on their honeymoon.

• October 2003

Date of stay