Cometa 300N Review

• Accuracy

• Handling

HARK.'s review of Cometa 300N

“THIS COMETA 300 IS A NO NONSENSE HIGH POWER MAN SIZED

Written on: 23/02/2003 by HARK. (1 review written)

FAIRLY LIGHT WEIGHT,FULL POWER,GOOD TRADITIONAL LOOKS,ACCURATE.

TRIGGER COULD BE BETTER.

General Comments
THIS COMETA 300 IS A NO NONSENSE HIGH POWER MAN SIZED AIR RIFLE FROM SPAIN. IT IS VERY ACCURATE AND IS PERFECT FOR HUNTING OUT TO ABOUT 40 YDS OR FOR BLASTING CANS IN THE GARDEN. IT HAS DOVETAIL GROOVES SO A SCOPE CAN BE MOUNTED (THE FRONT SIGHT MAY HAVE TO BE REMOVED). THE RIFLE COSTS AROUND £110 BUT THE QUALITY OF THE RIFLE IS WHAT YOU WOULD EXPECT OF A RIFLE TWICE THE PRICE.

• Accuracy

• Handling

92376_Nick.'s Response to 75062_HARK.'s Review

Written on: 26/04/2003

the best gun for its price

Renfield's Response to 75062_HARK.'s Review

Written on: 07/05/2008

hey guys i was thinking about getting the Cometa 300 Nickel and after reading your reviews i am gonna get it and has any 1 got any ideas about a good scope for it for around £30

Rugbypete's Response to 75062_HARK.'s Review

Written on: 05/06/2007

Love my cometa 300
<br/>
<br/>Works well with the H&N field target trophy pellets which are good quality.
<br/>
<br/>Gonna give accupels a shot next, see if they're worth the money
<br/>
<br/>Mine went over 12 ft/lb the other day by 0.4, so its well up on power, goes through anything i shoot (within reason) and is deadly accurate with a scope. I went for the hawke 3-9x40 also,great combo.
<br/>
<br/>At the price, i cant fault it. Next to cheap chinese rifles it actually has a quality feel, looks like the real deal, and puts the chines ones to shame in every aspect. Even next to a mates heavy wheirauch 97k I still prefer the 300. It's light compared to a heavy german, but not too light to feel cheap.
<br/>
<br/>To me, it fits my style - i can take it anywhere, shoot anything anyone else can, hit as hard as the £250+ models, but sit there happy I haven't spent an arm and a leg to get fully kitted out. Many who've shot it we're amazed at the quality for the price... puts many rifle snobs back in their place I can tell you.
<br/>
<br/>Just need to get a better shot, really prove its worth, but put it this way, standing on a 20 foot wobbly platform, i shot a small chalk disk at about 55 yards - this rifle's great for long range, seems better shooting far than right in front of me!

Sniper711's Response to 75062_HARK.'s Review

Written on: 02/05/2007

Hi guys i just bought a Cometa 300-s in 2.2 cal. I just wondered if anyone knew what the max range of this gun is? Will it kill a rabbit at more than 30 yards? And most importantly what do you guys think of this gun/ is it any good.
<br/>Thanks.

Jackalite's Response to 75062_HARK.'s Review

Written on: 09/02/2004

GET A COMETA 300 S WHICH INCLUDES A SILENCER AND IS AN ALL ROUND BETTER GUN. THE POWER IS THE SAME (12FT LB) AND IT KICKS THE BSA LIGHTNIN BACK TO THE STONE AGE, A WAY WAY WAY BETTER GUN!!

Written on: 06/02/2004

Thanks Hark! Great help!

Written on: 04/02/2004

Hi Matt,
<br>
<br>The Cometa is just as good as the BSA and even has a bit less recoil due to its extra weight. Also I use a hawk 3-9 X 40 on my HW97 and it gives bright images and has never let me down, I'd recomend them for a hunting scope.
<br>hth
<br>mark

Written on: 04/02/2004

Thanks Bertie! You've been a H-U-GE help recently so thanks very much.

Written on: 02/02/2004

platinum mat...
<br>
<br>Other than the Cometa, I've never used any of the rifles you mention so I can't compare. To me though, ANY .22 air rifle that will kill rabbits at 30 yards or so - consistently - is good enough for me. The Cometa 300 does just that, at a price I could afford and its quality really does belie the price. It'll see me out, that's for sure!
<br>
<br>I have two scopes - a Nikko Sterling Silver Crown 4X32 on the Cometa and a Nikko Sterling Silver Crown Waterproof 6X40 (second-hand) on my B2. The one on the Cometa has withstood thousands of rounds without even shifting on its Sportsmatch mounts and was really good value at less than twenty quid. The Hawke models I don't know.
<br>You wont go wrong with the Nikko range of scopes that's for sure and I wish you good luck in your choice of gun and scope.
<br>
<br>By the way, Ramsbottom charges £104 for the 300.

Written on: 01/02/2004

Thanks Bertie. I think I may well buy the cometa 300 if I get enough money selling a couple of things I don't use too often. Also though, there a few more air rifles I'm looking at:
<br>BSA supersport, AGS-SR2, Gamo 3000, and the Gamo CF-30. I would be most grateful if anyone could say how these compare to the cometa 300 it would be most helpful. Also, I'm trying to decide between these scopes - HAWKE sport HD 3-9-40, HAWKE sport HD 4X32, NIKKO Mountmaster 4X32 or 4X40 or 6X40. If anyone could say which are the best three of these I would be very grateful. Thankyou!!

Written on: 30/01/2004

Okay, thanks Bertie. I found a cometa 300 for 109 GBP and so I may go for it.

Written on: 30/01/2004

Well, I couldn't answer because I've not used the BSA nor the Gamo, but having both Cometa 300 and B2, I can say the Cometa is more powerful than the B2. Whether that makes it better only you can decide !
<br>For can-bashing in the garden, I find the B2 better because the pellets are less likely to end up in my neighbours' gardens due to their lower velocity.
<br>For a sure head shot on a rabbit at 30 yards I find the Cometa better.
<br>A very amorphous word is 'better' - it can be moulded to suit any occasion !

Written on: 29/01/2004

Amazing, this seems just the kind of air rifle I've been looking for. I hope it would be a lot better then my B2 .22 Also no-one answered switch's question.
<br>thanks

Written on: 28/01/2004

I had no problem at all fitting my scope. I've just had a careful look at the scope grooves and they LOOK straight.
<br>It would probably take a surface plate, a couple of vee blocks and a dial-gauge indicator to detect any irregularities.
<br>
<br>I hope you get your problem resolved and I hope the other guys (or gals) can comment.

Jonnygee's Response to 75062_HARK.'s Review

Written on: 27/01/2004

cheers for the advice!! i have recently bought a 3-9x40 scope but i was having troubble fitting it. i soon found out that the scope grooves were not cut straight! i've sent it back to the shop to get it fixed, but did anyone else have this problem?

Magoosas's Response to 75062_HARK.'s Review

HiAaronA UK...
<br>
<br>You'll not be disappointed with the cometa nickel, it looks and performs great.
<br>
<br>On the subject of suppressors(silencers), i have found it difficult to get a hold of one. I believe webely suppressors are all threaded screw-ons, which doesn't fit the cometa rifles.
<br>
<br>However, i believe you can buy a professionally tuned version with a threaded barrel, but these are usually quite expensive because the whole rifle is modified.
<br>
<br>You mention the universal webely suppressor, maybe that is a bolt-on. To attach the bolt-on suppressor you need to remove the front sight, which is easy, its just a screw. But again it's a shame coz i think the rifle looks more purposeful with it there.
<br>good luck mate
<br>stuart

Written on: 22/01/2004

AaronA UK............I tried a sound suppressor on my gun but it didn't seem to make much difference as there was as much noise from the action as from the muzzle.
<br>
<br>Have you read the 2 reviews on the SMK Multifit Sound Suppressor in the Air Rifle Accessories section? I think sound suppressors are extremely effective on Pump-ups or PCPs where action noise is virtually non-existant.
<br>
<br>Hope you enjoy your nickel Cometa - I have the blued version and simply can't fault it. Allow at least 700 shots for the gun to smooth out and it may diesel for the first few shots. I fired into a ballistic pendulum and the first shot slammed the "bob" up against the lid so what the muzzle energy was is anybody's guess! The 6th shot produced just over 10 ft. lbs. After about 500 shots, the gun was producing a little over 11 ft.lbs. muzzle energy with Eley Wasp pellets. There may be a more suitable pellet but the power is enough for me. I hope you enjoy your Cometa as much as I do mine - and good and safe shooting.

Aarona Uk's Response to 75062_HARK.'s Review

Written on: 22/01/2004

Wow i cant believe what i'm hearing!
<br>i've been searching the web for weeks trying to find the best air rifle for about £150-170 and up until now couldnt make my mind up between either a weihrauch hw57, a webley xocet or a gamo realtree hunter. i wanted something that not only performed well but also looks the part (allot to ask for the price!).
<br>
<br>today my prayers have been answered cos i'm now definitely getting a nickel plated cometa 300.
<br> Thanx guys!
<br>p.s. do you guys think a universal webley pro silencer would fit this gun or would i need a different type?

Written on: 07/01/2004

Hi magoosas....I'm using Gunmark 2-piece mounts costing £14.99 (which have double allen bolts) on my 300 with no problems at all. I think rifles that kick like the HW80 need 1-piece mounts, and the 300 is about the lowest recoil full-power spring rifle I've ever used. I dont even have a backstop and the scope hasn't budged in over 3,000 rounds.
<br>Dunno about silencers, but I think the really effective ones are quite pricey.
<br>Best of luck mate.

Magoosas's Response to 75062_HARK.'s Review

Written on: 06/01/2004

Hey guys,
<br>
<br>I went out and bought myself a 300n and was just wondering what scope mounts i should use? You see my friend gave me a spare 2 piece set but I have a feeling they are cheap, hence rubbish? I've heard that the one piece mounts are good but they seem to be quite expensive.
<br>
<br>Anyway, the rifle is excellent, at .22 anyway. My mate has a webely stingray and the only difference is its two stage trigger. He paid £190 for his so i cant complain.
<br>
<br>Have any of you fitted a silencer? If so which type and how much? Coz when i miss the wabbits they run away!
<br>
<br>Cheers for providing the brill info
<br>Stuart

Written on: 16/12/2003

Johnny Gee...bit late I know, but I'm using a Nikko Stirling Silver Crown 4X32 and that mainly because I wear specs. It's a lovely scope and great value and hasn't shifted in over 2,000 rounds.
<br>Merry Xmas all - especially to the firm of solicitors!

Jonnygee's Response to 75062_HARK.'s Review

Written on: 02/12/2003

hi guys! im pretty new on the gunning scene, only picking up my dads 'diana' for the first time in september. since then i have fallen in love with shooting and by the looks of the reviews, i made a good choice picking the 300 for my crimbo prezzy! (and first real rifle as the 'diana' was about 4 ft.lbs). im looking forward to bagging me a coupple of bunnies!!! cheers for the
<br> advice chaps. any hints on a good scope for it?

Switch's Response to 75062_HARK.'s Review

Written on: 29/11/2003

I am going to replace my Gamo 440 with either a cometa 300 or a BSA Super sport, which do you think i should get?

Written on: 22/10/2003

Y'know, thinking about it, you probably have the best of both worlds with the .177 as you can use the lighter pellets for the feathers. Yes, a .177 could well be the all-purpose gun.
<br>
<br>On my Cometa, I have a Nikko Sterling 4 X 32 which I bought with the gun along with pellets and the bill wasn't itemised but the scope was about £18. It's very well made and has click-stop adjusters and fitting it and zeroing it was a breeze. You may decide on another model but I see no reason for a magnification greater than 4X. You may probably know that the 32 is the diameter in millimetres of the object lens (the one nearest the muzzle). So, the diameter of the beam of light entering your eye is 32 divided by 4 = 8 millimetres. As the pupil of your eye, in dusk, is unlikely to dilate greater than that figure, buying a scope with a larger diameter objective lens than 32 will be a waste of money. If you want a higher power scope say, 6X, then to maintain that 8 millimetre beam you'd need at least a 64 millimetre object lens. That will cost a lot more!
<br>
<br>Hope that all helps - good luck.

Written on: 22/10/2003

Im not 100% sure but i dont think the cometa 300 is available in .177.

Rockstar1730's Response to 75062_HARK.'s Review

Thanx Bertie,
<br> the old .22 for fur and .177 for feathers sure does have a lot of logic behind it although I was thinking as you have, that a heavier .177 pellet should cover the fur's aswell as the feathered game. What scope do you think would suit the gun? Cheers for the advice so far.

Written on: 22/10/2003

Rockstar1730.....I prefer .22 for rabbit and my Cometa 300 can kill them with headshots at about 30 yards. I'm sure the effective killing range is greater but my aim is not.
<br>
<br>Can't say for .177, but a heavy pellet like a H&N rabbit magnum weighing 16.85 grains should be equally as effective. I tend to believe in the old adage..'.22 for fur and .177 for feathers'. I hope you enjoy you gun.
<br>
<br>Come on guys, let's have some views on this.

Rockstar1730's Response to 75062_HARK.'s Review

Written on: 21/10/2003

Hey guys,
<br> I am excited by the idea that within a few weeks I may have a Cometa 300 in my hands popping off the odd rabbit. Just a couple of questions though, what pellets suit the 300 the best?, what reasonable price scope should I be looking at getting?, what effective range will the Cometa 300 Nickel .177 have on rabbits and such game?
<br>Cheers guys.

Written on: 11/09/2003

I have a Nikko Sterling 4 X 32 scope on my 300 and the foresight is so out of focus and so faint (you really have to look for it) that I've left it on. I think the gun looks more purposeful with it in place - but that's just me!
<br>
<br>Hark...I see that your review has now generated 21 marks of respect and no dissensions. Congrats!
<br>
<br>Have fun everyone and safe shooting!!!!

Written on: 07/09/2003

just unscrew the bolt,then gently tap the sight off. the end of the barrel is a bit unsightly so i fitted a muzzle weight.

Gordoney's Response to 75062_HARK.'s Review

Written on: 07/09/2003

sorry m8 the only way of gettin the front sight off is by puttin the rifle in a vice, putting a piece of wood behind the sight and knocking it off with a hammer and the woman at the gunshop said it will almost certainly destroy the sight

G Holl's Response to 75062_HARK.'s Review

Written on: 06/09/2003

graeme derby uk (for those that dont know ) v-good review spot on do you know though for the first 3-5hundred rounds the rifel is actually rated at 14ft-lb till spring has been broke in as to speek had mine a year,ish not used v-much work away alot still go through 19mm ply at 20m ish v-good mine was £95 seem cheeper than others ??? HOW DO YOU GET THE SIGHT OFF THE END OF THE BARREL GOT A 4X40 SCOPE BUT DONT WANT TO DAMMAGE ORIGINAL SIGHT FOR RESALE VAL. ANY ONE ???

Gordoney's Response to 75062_HARK.'s Review

Written on: 22/08/2003

yes this rifle is DEFINATELY A BRILLIANT FIRST RIFLE. When i first got it it took me about 5 shots to get used to it and after that it just become a third arm to me. I have a friend that paid about £250 for a webley longbow but i think this rifle matches it in every aspect and is great value for money

122935_Me.'s Response to 75062_HARK.'s Review

Written on: 17/08/2003

I was wondering if the 300 would be a good first rifle?
<br>because i want something that will be a good hunting rifle eg, something that will kill a rabit from a fair distance.

114697_Hark.'s Response to 75062_HARK.'s Review

Written on: 10/07/2003

If you compare it with most of the weihrauch range you'll find it is fairly light weight, it's more of a middle weight rifle. It's heavier than the very lightweight rifles like the bsa lightning but that extra weight helps to absorb some of the recoil.

Best Boy.'s Response to 75062_HARK.'s Review

Written on: 09/07/2003

I think the review is faily accurate however, I disagree with the "FAIRLY LIGHT WEIGHT" good point
<br>, from experience i'v notived its quite chunky and heavy (compared with friends guns). But overall the guns a beauty and accurate aswell and powerfull, good for popping off the odd magpie and rabbit.

113169_Bertie.'s Response to 75062_HARK.'s Review

Written on: 04/07/2003

It's me again! Hark, Nick and Splodge you are all gentlemen and scholars. I now have my Cometa 300 in .22 cal. and as far as I'm concerned, sliced bread is out of the window.
<br>I've had about 300 shots and I can't fault the gun. I know I'm easily pleased but honestly, for £109 from The Countryman of Derby who sent it beautifully packed in a short time it would be the nadir of nit-picking to criticise anything. I'm quids-in all round because I can adapt to anything. The gun will kill rabbits, therefore it's a good one. It looks smart and handles beautifully. A friend who has a chronograph, measures a gnat's short of 11 foot/lbs. with Superdome pellets and it's not run in yet!
<br>End of story. Many thanks pals.

110021_Hark.'s Response to 75062_HARK.'s Review

Written on: 23/06/2003

GOOD CHOICE YOU SHOULD BE PLEASED WITH THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THIS RIFLE. I FOUND THE ELEY WASP 5.6 TO BE THE BEST PELLET.

109461_Bertie.'s Response to 75062_HARK.'s Review

Written on: 21/06/2003

Hark, Nick and Splodge (sounds like a firm of solicitors!). I have sent for a Cometa 300 on the basis of your evaluations. I'll write again when I've had about 250 shots.

Splodge.'s Response to 75062_HARK.'s Review

Written on: 07/06/2003

I agree totally with this review, I have owned the Cometa 300 for about two weeks now and although only used it either in the garden or at the local shooting range I find it performs great. Slightly heavier than my old gun but not to heavy but like the reviewer said, very accurate. I have added a silencer and scopes to mine and must admit for the price I was astounded at what I got.