Holts Tyreweld Review

• Quality of design/construction?

Bertie's review of Holts Tyreweld

“Holts motoring products have been around for many...”

Written on: 06/12/2005 by Bertie (27 reviews written)

It works.
Easy to use.
Affordable (at around £5).

None for me.

General Comments
Holts motoring products have been around for many years and I have successfully used their radiator sealer and now their Tyreweld emergency puncture repair.

There is no way I could rate this product at anything less than a 10 all round as it got me out of a real jam last October when I had a front wheel puncture on my scooter, miles from anywhere and in a very hilly spot where my mobile phone doesn't work so I was unable to phone the RAC of which I'm a member.

A strong aluminium can 9 1/2" long X 2 3/8" in diameter has a swivelling clear flexible plastic hose 6 1/2 " long terminating with a brass Schrader connector for screwing on to the tyre valve and on turning the red knob on top of the can anticlockwise, a liquid is injected into the tyre. This appears to be plastic or rubber based as on unscrewing the connector, a small quantity of sticky white foam bubbled around it.

Full instructions along with diagrams are printed on the can and it is most important that you make for the nearest garage forthwith, not only to top up any lost pressure, but to get the wheel rotating for the injected liquid to do its job. In my case, the nearest garage was 11 miles away and by the time I got there the tyre pressure had dropped to the point where the steering had become somewhat heavy. On connecting up to the garage air hose, the gauge read 14 pounds. Topping up the tyre to its normal pressure of 25 pounds and listening carefully, I couldn't detect the sound of escaping air so went on my way home at a speed of no more than the recommended 30 mph.

Holts Tyreweld is meant to get you home - no more. In my case, I had to wait a couple of days for a new tyre and as the Tyrewelded one was still holding its pressure, I did some very local journeys totalling over 100 miles without loss of pressure so this product certainly worked for me.

It's made in the EU too!

• Quality of design/construction?