Sennheiser HD 215 Review

• Sound Quality

• Comfort Level

Lew DJ's review of Sennheiser HD 215

Sennheiser HD 215

“You know when Jeremy Clarkson goes on about the...”

Written on: 28/11/2005 by Lew DJ (1 review written)

Comfort, construction

Break-in time

General Comments
You know when Jeremy Clarkson goes on about the Porsche Boxter? Basically, why buys one when you can have a 911?

Well the Sennheiser HD 215 headphones are in the same category. It's a case of German engineers 'detuning' something mind-numbingly good to fit into the 'mid-range' of the market.

I've been using them for a few weeks, and I have to say that they are excellent. I've had some Sennheiser headphones before just as back-ups for practice; they were the cheapie HD202's which have survived two years loyal service. That is why I've been keen to get a more well engineered Sennheiser product.

The construction gives me confidence that these headphones will last many years, and the quality is fantastic. But, I have to say that only the right cup swivels, not both. Although there seems to be no difference which way round you wear them. The single replaceable coiled lead is great, and exactly what I've always wanted.

The sound is where I have to mark these bins down, but hardly. At first when they were new, I have to say I thought they were a bit 'bass-less', but as the padding has softened and they have worn-in, the bass has increased in the mix, so don't judge them too quickly. They don't have the bass that can make the bins dance on your ears like 1210's or V700's, but these are mid-range cups.

Basically these are great value headphones for the money, but you can get better by buying top of the range. You don't need top of the range, as these are perfectly good in a club environment.

I've read reviews that the sound is poor in the mid and bass area, but they need to be run-in for 30 hours before they can be judged.

• Sound Quality