Bi-Orb Aquarium Review

cloud9's review of Bi-Orb Aquarium

“My husband recently bought me a Bi-Orb Aquarium. It...”

Written on: 17/11/2005 by cloud9 (31 reviews written)

Looks good.
Very relaxing.
Great filtration system (I only have to clean it/change the filter approx. every 2 months).
Can buy lots of accessories inc. interchangable bases and lids to match your home decor (there is even a pine one), and there is also a new light called the i-Light which cycles through the day from dusk until dawn creating different lighting conditions.

None yet.

General Comments
My husband recently bought me a Bi-Orb Aquarium. It is beautiful to look at once the plants, fish and bubble tube cover/ornament are in, and it can be purcased in a 30 litre or 60 litre version. You can use the Bi-Orb for coldwater fish, or Tropical fish if you add a heater.

I wasn't sure whether to opt for the Bi-Orb or the Bi-Ube, so I did some research and found a lot of information from other Bi-Orb and Bi-Ube owners.

All the information on fish keeping really isn't for the faint hearted, and if it is something you have never done before, then don't think it is as easy as just getting a Goldfish from the funfair and hoping it survives.

The people in the various forums are passionate about fish-keeping, and you can guarantee that any help you may need will be available to you.

Before I visited the various forums I had no idea what cycling the tank meant, or that the PH had to be at a certain level, that you had to check for levels of Nitrogen, and that the filter media should never be cleaned using products such as washing up liquid (like we did when we were kids with Goldfish - my poor Goldfish - no wonder).

It took me 24 hours to prepare the Bi-Orb before I could introduce any fish, as the water has to be at the right temperature, and the PH Levels have to be right too. It was recommended that I add 2 - 3 small fish in the first month. Too many and the waste produced from them would have raised the Nitrogen levels to a dangerous level. It is done slowly so that the filter media has chance to work and catch up with the Nitrogen levels in the tank.

So far my tropical fish have survived, and I don't think they would have if I hadn't taken the time to look for advice. If you are thinking of purchasing one of these beautiful aquariums and don't have much experience, I would highly recommend you visit the forums at http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/ There are lots of other forums and websites that will offer advice and inspiration too, but I found the thinkfish website to be an excellent resource for everything I needed to know.

I highly recommend the Bi-Orb to anyone, from beginner to the more advanced fish-keeper.

Bertie's Response to cloud9's Review

Written on: 18/11/2005

cloud 9......are you on one? Because from your most interesting and happy review, you certainly seem to be!
<br>
<br>I looked at your link and find that a 120 cm tank is recommended for goldfish but doesn't state how many.
<br>I have 3 fish - 1 goldfish and 2 shubunkins in a clear plastic "tank" that once lived at the bottom of a fridge and measures 41 X 23cms - which size, from another source, seems to be suitable for about a third of a goldfish, but I do change the water every other day. This is accomplished by putting the "tank" in the sink and running the cold tap.
<br>
<br>I share my food with them as I have read in the past that anything we can eat, goldfish and shubunkins can. They get a treat now and then - a chopped worm - and are thriving.
<br>
<br>I'm a kind of fish myself....a cheapskate!

408710_Kaywinstone's Response to cloud9's Review

Written on: 11/10/2008

I have a 30L Biorb and don't think they give nearly enough information on how to set it up and introduce the fish properly.
<br/>
<br/>Mine are now thriving but it has been a bit trial and error and to the cost of a few fish, which isn't right, I appreciate you can always lose a few when adding to a new tank but I have taken advice from shops I have purchased at etc., and STILL got it wrong. To be honest I find that most aquarium shops don't seem to have much 'time' for the BIORB enthusiast. My tank is now settling well with 2 tetras, 1 guppy, 2 x flag fish and looks good. I personally LOVE the tank, however, I now want to keep more fish with a bigger range so am looking round for a bigger and more practical tank. BIORB say to look on their tanks as 'LIVING LAMPS' and quite honestly I think that is true, its a lot of work and not really for the 'beginner' as they seem to market towards. However having said all that it is a fantastic addition to any room.....I LOVE my LIVING LAMP.
<br/>
<br/>Kay
<br/>Bristol

Cloud9's Response to cloud9's Review

Written on: 22/11/2005

Hello Bertie,
<br>
<br>It sounds like you are in desperate need of a bigger tank, and whatever you feed your fish must make them superfish if they can survive a cold running tap into their make-shift tank :))) It takes a brave person to chop up a worm, and no matter how much I love my fish, I just couldn't envisage me doing that, so mine will just have to survive on boring pellet food and the ocassional live brine shrimp. I hope you manage to find a tank big enough as your fish seem to live a life of luxury and may well grow to be huge. If that is the case, I would recommend at least a 60 litre capacity tank for 3 to 4 golfish/shubunkins.
<br>Good luck :)