Lexus LS400 Review

• Performance

• Practicality

• Reliability

Notpc.'s review of Lexus LS400

“My Lexus LS400 came to me aged 6 years, and is still...”

Written on: 12/02/2003 by Notpc. (1 review written)

Extremely quiet, excellent stereo, not too thirsty and unobtrusively fast. Very reliable. Pleasantly inconspicuous.

Damp in the door locks - it freezes up in the winter! The shape, I find elegant, and mine's got the equivalent of a great bum, but it's a pity the frontal treatment makes it look so ugly.

General Comments
My Lexus LS400 came to me aged 6 years, and is still with me 4 years later.

All the quality reputation seems true, even if it always costs a couple of hundred pounds to get through the MOT.

The engine is superb, even in the relatively de-tuned version of my mark 2 model (anything made after 1995 is faster). I fell for it because I never heard the salesman start the engine and didn't realise it was running when he put it into gear and we set off. Two years later, I fooled my parents over the same point.

The interior is very comfortable, and if you must try and fit in a day's work between two two-hundred mile trips, this is a good way to do it.

All the accessories work very well. The climate control is permanently set on 21 degrees all year round. The stereo is excellent, and with six CDs in the boot, you can do a long trip without changing the music. No rattles.

Every now and then you see that this is a seriously powerful car (155 mph max), but you hardly notice how much power there is until you kickdown at 80mph and it takes off (changing into top around 125).

Boring practicality. It's a bit big to park at 5.5 metres, but rear passengers live in luxury. The boot is truly amazing - utterly huge. I consider it relatively cheap to run - 20,000 miles on a set of tyres, for example.

I have to have another, but I need to wear this one out first. Mine is 10 yrs old, and still has a long way to go.

• Performance