Dordogne, France Review

leelambert's review of Dordogne, France

☆☆☆☆☆

“I would highly recommend a holiday to the Dordogne,...”

Written on: 03/10/2005 by leelambert (1 review written)

Everything except our accommodation Maison La Tourache

Maison La Tourache !

General Comments
I would highly recommend a holiday to the Dordogne, however, I would like to warn people of a B&B called Maison La Tourache run by an English couple.

Although they have a very nice property unfortunately they have absolutely no idea how to run a B&B. Without going into the detail of what happened during our stay I can only offer my advice which is.. stay away !

There are far better French run places to stay in the area that also more conveniently located to enjoy the surrounding town and villages.

• 11 July 2005

Date of stay

Tanyah's Response to leelambert's Review

Written on: 12/07/2006

I have to add a comment to the above. My partner and I stayed at Maison La Tourache in 2004 and we had a brilliant relaxing holiday. The b&b is absolutely idyllic and the hospitality was exceptional in every way. The hosts were extremely welcoming and attentive, they couldn't do enough for us, whether it was giving us directions or bringing us drinks. The dinners (5 courses!) was the best we've ever had - thats no exaggeration - and it was also very reasonable, something like 20 euros. Unfortunately dinner wasn't available every night but we would have eaten there every night if we could have.
<br/>The only downside was the rain - solid for 2 weeks!! Although we did get to see amazing thunderstorms. There are also loads of really interesting prehistoric caves to explore so we weren&#039;t bored.
<br/>We would recommend this b&b 100% and in fact some friends of ours are going there this year.

Lesfarges's Response to leelambert's Review

Written on: 29/01/2008

Stayed at La Tourache a lot of times while we were renovating our property in the area. We found it to be perfect and so friendly we could not resist revisiting. Could not have asked for more helpful hosts and the accommodation could not be faulted with a breakfast to set us both up for the rest of the day. A car is an essential part of visiting the area so do not expect to get by on public transport but there are plenty of really nice places to dine not too far away from the house in either direction. Pay a visit to the markets at Le Bugue & Rouffignac and spend a day in Perigueux exploring the many hidden sqaures.

Leelambert's Response to leelambert's Review

Written on: 17/07/2006

I can understand the comments to my review and I would highly recommend people to visit the area as the location is beautiful and the local people are friendly and helpful. We also experienced fantastic hospitality too for the first two days of our stay until what I can only describe as a "Jeykll & Hyde" moment when our hosts met us at the gate after returning from a day trip and asked us to leave immediately. It was quite a shock as they had been so nice to begin with. We really couldn&#039;t believe it at first. The reason they gave is that we had brought back food. We felt this was a huge over reaction considering all we had was a french stick and some foie gras (the local produce) and they do not supply food every night. We had been out most of the day, had a big lunch, and thought we could snack on the bread & foie gras if we got hungry. We also said we would happily take it away if it was a problem but they insisted we leave immediately. We found it hard to believe we were being thrown out for such a small thing and have since wondered if there was some other reason and this was just an excuse. In hindsight we were pleased to have left after their outrageous behaviour but having my wife in tears on the second day of our honeymoon was certainly not in the plan. We received fantastic service in every other place we stayed on our honeymoon and I should really spend my time writing positive reviews about that as opposed to warning people about La Tourache. I guess thats why the saying goes that an unhappy customer is likely to tell 9 people about their experience where as a happy customer will tell just one.