Pride & Prejudice Review

Rocksteady's review of Pride and Prejudice

Pride and Prejudice

“I planned a trip to the cinema with my Girlfriend and...”

Written on: 22/09/2005 by Rocksteady (56 reviews written)

I planned a trip to the cinema with my Girlfriend and on this occasion it was her turn to choose the film and when I saw that Pride and Prejudice had just been released I began to get that sinking feeling. In the past it has been one of my aims to avoid period costume dramas at all costs - the thought of 3 hours of bowing, yes mi lady and Mr Darcy kind of filled me with dread, but... you have to think ahead - my chances of seeing Land of the Dead would have been seriously diminished if I refused to play the game.

I read the reviews and they all seemed to be mostly positive, Keira Knightly although slightly annoying is pleasing on the eye which I thought should make the film go faster and I had stocked up on a large bag of minstrels to keep me occupied so I should be ok. Once the film had started I realised that I may have been a bit harsh. Instead of being boring the story was actually quite interesting - it was never going to be thrill a minute but I found myself happily going along with it all. The performances from all of the actors were very good, Keira was excellent and Donald Sutherland played his part well.

The costumes and sets looked to be very accurate - I tried my best but didn't see a single digital watch and the scenery and houses were amazing. The film also had quite a few funny moments, especially the over zealous mama trying her best for her children and although I have never seen the BBC production with Colin Firth my girlfriend says that McFayden was a good choice for Mr Darcy. This was always going to be a bit of a girls film but for all the other boyfriends, brothers, dads and husbands out there it is actually a lot better than it looks and you will probably be pleasantly surprised. My Girlfriend loved it and the film has already made its way onto her DVD wish list - recommended.

• Keira Knightly