Toshiba RDX-S32 Review

phil1959's review of Toshiba RDX-S32

Toshiba RDX-S32

“I have owned the Toshiba RD-XS32 80GB DVD recorder for...”

Written on: 19/09/2005 by phil1959 (1 review written)

HDD thumbnail review is flexible and easy to use.
Time slip is flexible and easy to use.
Setting an END time is also easy to do.

Record menu is difficult to navigate, and the RGB inputs from reasonably high quality External video sources do not translate to a clear picture. It is almost like the recorder reduces everything to composite, before displaying it via the component.
When you label a channel with its real number, that does not appear on the REC menu.
Changing picture recording quality from high, SP, or LP, is via a menu which is difficult to edit.

General Comments
I have owned the Toshiba RD-XS32 80GB DVD recorder for several months now, and I find that the DVD-R's I am creating are getting progressively more and more unreadable. I have made over 10 now, and with different DVD-R brands, and the last 3 would simply not play. I am disappointed that the unit will not read DVD+R DVD's or burn them.

I nearly bought the Pioneer unit instead of the Toshiba unit, and I feel that I am regretting my decision.

My next dilemma is whether Toshiba can fix this unit.

Gdwilson's Response to phil1959's Review

Written on: 02/04/2006

my rdxs34 was repaired twice in 1 year, dvd write errors, now its happening again, I hate this machine now.

Picard25's Response to phil1959's Review

Written on: 04/09/2006

I completely agree with all stated. Within the 1st year my XS32 had a fan failure which affected the HD and both had to be replace. Now,20 months into it's life, there is a whining sound coming from the unit.I have had many Toshiba products and this is the first to let me down.
<br/>Rating 5/10