Walther CP99 Compact Review

DJMikeOz's review of Walther CP99 Compact

“Crosman/Walther CP99 Compact The first...”

Written on: 16/09/2005 by DJMikeOz (2 reviews written)

This is a most wonderfull gun to shoot. It has excellent construction and is very well made.

The ejection port is not open and is molded to the slide.

General Comments
Crosman/Walther CP99 Compact

The first Impression I got When I opened the box was, "Whoa, That looks real!". From the moment I scoped it out on the Crosman and Umarex websites I knew I had to have it.

I've loved the Walther series of air guns since I picked up the PPK/S from a Wal-Mart over a year ago. Since then I've added several airguns to my collection, but none are as treasured as my Walthers. The quality of finish on this latest release is just as good as previous releases.

If you want an airgun that feels real, then this is your gun. Websites I have browsed have stated that it wieghs about 1lb. but it feels significantly more. This is one Solid Chunk of plastic and metal. If you own a PPK/S or CPSport model, then the first thing you will notice about the CP99 Compact is that it is heavier than either one. The slide wobble present on the PPK/S has no presence on this model. If you have been thinking of buying this gun, do it!

Features

This is an impressive but short list. First, You won't be able to cock this baby until you take the safety off. You can pull the slide back all you want but it wont lock the hammer

back until you take the safety off. This feature confused me for about 45 seconds at first

but I figured it out. The next feature is with the safety itself. It acts as a de-cocker.

Soon as you engage the safety the hammer drops down to the safe position. I personally think this is the best safety function I have ever seen and it's definately an airgun innovation.

The next feature is that the hammer, wich is internal, has a red dot on it viewable from an opening in the back of the slide functioning as a "loaded Chamber" indicator. Another cool feature is that the magazine is made of metal on this model. Also neat on this model, you access the CO2 chamber by removing the back-strap from the grip. The only complaint I have with the features of this model is cosmetic. Unfortunately the ejection port is molded to the slide and does not open. The entire gun is made of metal except for the lower frame and the back-strap. That's it.

Performance

If you own the PPK/S then you know how this gun performs. The only diffence is, I believe, that it seems to be more gas efficient. The slide recoil is more stable over time than my PPK/S, wich seems to get slopier over time and gas consumption. The accuracy is on par with the PPK/S also, wich isn't all that great. We're talking six inch groupings at 50 feet. That fact alone should not detour you from purchasing this gun however. It is an absolute pleasure to shoot! If you are looking for a more accurate gun for pest control or precision target shooting, I recommend a CPSport or CP99. Both are more accurate.

The Facts

Mechanism: Repeater

Caliber: .177 cal (4.5 mm) /Pellet

Ammunition: Lead airgun pellet

Magazine: 8 Shot

Weight: 1.47 lbs (.55 kg)

Length: 7 in. (18 cm)

Barrel: 3.3 in. (8.5 cm) /Rifled steel

Power: CO2 12-gram small neck cylinders

Safety: Slide style

Sight: Front; Ramp Rear; Adjustable for windage

Velocity: Up to 360 fps (109 m/s)

Conclusion

I conclude with these words; What have you got to lose? This is one of the best functioning airguns out there with Walther/Umarex quality and performance. This thing is awesome! If you collect airguns you probably have this on your list already. But if you don't then you should. If you are looking for a realistic training pistol for your young ones, then this is for you. If you want something to blast away those emty cans in the yard, then this is your gun.If you wanna rob a convenience store, then, you should be be shot by this gun, it's not for you. Safety should always be an issue. Wear your glasses. I hope this review has helped or influenced you in many positive ways.

DJMikeOz