LifeSource Water Filtration Unit Review

• Style

• Service & Support

momoftwins0401's review of LifeSource Water Filtration Unit

LifeSource Water Filtration Unit

“I had very high hopes for the very expensive...”

Written on: 13/09/2005 by momoftwins0401 (1 review written)

The water tastes good.

Clothes aren't coming out as clean as they used to. Stains that would normally have come out in the washer now require quite a bit of pre-spotting, and sometimes bleach.

General Comments
I had very high hopes for the very expensive LifeSource Water Filtration and "water softening" unit. We used to have a soft water system that used salt/potassium, but we were having problems with the taste of the water. The LifeSource web site and literature made me believe that this would be the solution to my problems. Yes, the water tastes great, but it takes extra work now to get my clothes clean (I have 4 year old twin boys, so clothes can get quite dirty). This system doesn't eliminate spots from your faucets or dishes.

In the end, I'm not sure I made the right decision... if I had to do it all over again, I would consider other soft water systems that use salt/potassium.

• 1 - 6 months

Owned Product For:

• Durability

• Style

• Service & Support

Kraemer94's Response to momoftwins0401's Review

Written on: 27/11/2005

I'm looking into this unit as well as others. Are you still having problems?

Guest's Response to momoftwins0401's Review

Written on: 11/09/2011

@mwatts, I live in So. California and have very hard water. I had a Culligan water softener but tired of lugging bags of salt/potassium. Went on a coworker's recommendation re LifeSource; regretably gave away Culligan system. Loved actually being able to use the water from all the taps; however, I was angry about the waterspots on glassware/flatware and mineral deposits on showerheads, toilet bowls. Like momoftwins, I feel LS was misleading and fuzzy regarding this aspect. After a short while my gas hot water heater started rumbling loudly due to the scale and my steam humidifer had heavy scale buildup on the element and tank - made me wish I had never purchased LS. I would NOT recommend LS alone for a tankless water heater - you will be disappointed. Not wanting to deal with salt/potassium again + the expense of buying yet another softener to add to the LS setup, recently installed ClearWave. It's only been a couple weeks and I've noticed a big difference in 24-hrs with the water heater. In short, ClearWave changes the charge of the minerals so they remain suspended in the water and don't stick together or to the pipes, etc. There are more expensive brands available based on the same concept, but I've learned expensive doesn't always equate to better. I'm happy after adding ClearWave.

The LS presediment filter is another thing altogether. Don't buy it. The filter housing developed a hairline crack and water was all over my garage floor; the force of the water spraying out wore a sizeable hole in the wall next to it. Called LS and was told I couldn't buy the housing separate. They don't sell replacement parts so you have to buy the whole thing at $180!! What?? Why? As you can see from the picture a reviewer posted, there ain't that much to it. Epoxy repair didn't work; the thing constantly drips on bypass mode. I positioned a bucket to catch the water until we remove the sediment filter totally in a couple days. DO NOT install their sediment filter. If you need one, get your own that comes with a pressure release and you'll be ahead of the game. LS staffers reading this review - as much as your system costs, SELL THE SEDIMENT FILTER PARTS; it's the right thing to do.

287999_Klolsen's Response to momoftwins0401's Review

Written on: 05/05/2007

So what is it? Why would you post that without giving any information on it?

Sampson1's Response to momoftwins0401's Review

Written on: 26/02/2007

I just started to learn about water filtration & soft water there is one proven method to Crysalizing the minerals in your hard water so they do not attach to your plumbing & stain fixtures. This is a fairly new system, and needs no maintenance. It uses no salt or chemicals, has no moving parts and has a warranty for 5 years parts & labor!

237293_Mwatts's Response to momoftwins0401's Review

Written on: 04/04/2006

I am also interested in this product because I just bought a new tankless water heater and washer. We have extremely hard water and they recommended getting a water softener. I was looking at Lifesource also because of the chlorine removal for showers as well as better tasting water. Has anyone heard anything about using the Lifesource system with tankless water heaters?

Momoftwins0401's Response to momoftwins0401's Review

Written on: 28/11/2005

I argued quite a bit with the head sales guy, and he agreed to install a soft water system onto our water heater (no charge). So now our cold water is filtered, and our hot water is soft.
<br>
<br>After doing more research on water, I learned that the only way to get soft water is through an ion-exchange system using salt or potassium.
<br>
<br>I wish I hadn't relied on LifeSource's marketing materials when we made the decision to buy. I learned my lesson.