Webley Patriot Review

• Accuracy

• Handling

Frood.'s review of Webley Patriot

“I've already written a review of this gun but it's...”

Written on: 25/01/2003 by Frood. (1 review written)

It's a great gun folks

People who don't know how to use it say it's junk

General Comments
I've already written a review of this gun but it's time to set the record straight. Have you noticed that there isn't anyone saying "this is an okay gun"? They either love it or they hate it. There's a reason for that and I think it's all about pellet choice. The Patriot throws out heavy pellets at just under the speed of sound (1080 fps). If you use a lighter pellet, it goes supersonic.
Quick story: when I bought the Patriot I used the pellets that I had handy, Crossman 14 grains. The first thing I noticed was that the gun was loud. Almost as loud as my rimfire .22 cal. The next thing I noticed was that at 20 yards I couldn't tell where my shots were going. They weren't even hitting the paper that my targets were printed on. I can throw rocks more accurately than that.
So what was the problem? The pellets were going supersonic. Breaking the sound barrier was causing the sharp crack. More importantly, pellets aren't stable when they break the sound barrier, they tumble and go wild. Some of my shots at 20 yards were off by as much as 6 inches in random directions.
If you go to your local gunshop and buy whatever .22 cal. pellets they have on hand they'll probably be in the 13-14 grain range. THESE WON'T WORK. I don't know what the magic number is. I suppose it varies from gun to gun but it seems to be around 18 grains. You may have to search a bit to find heavier pellets but it's something you must do. I wouldn't use anything lighter than Beemans Crow Magnum pellet at 18 grain. Better yet, use the Beeman Kodiak at 21 grain. I use H&K Barracuda Match grade at just over 21 grain and I get excellent accuracy from my Patriot. At 50 yards these heavy pellets start to drop so I just aim an inch or so high at that range (my scope is sighted in at 30 yards). One thing I can tell you is that these pellets used in the Patriot hit far more often than they miss and they hit like a sledgehammer.

• Accuracy

• Handling

Birdlarsen.'s Response to 67948_Frood.'s Review

Written on: 09/02/2003

You hit the nail on the head. It is all about pellet selection. You were talking about the .22 cal I believe but I have the .25 cal so I don't have to worry about super sonic. Ok, here goes my results, no exaggerating, and I am no marksman. The RWS Diana Magnums .25 are awesome when it comes to accuracy (in my gun). I got my Bushnell 4-12x40mm Trophy and started testing the range with different pellets. Some grouped very, very bad, but some grouped better, and one (RWS Diana Mags) grouped awesome. My brother land surveys and he measured 80 yards on the dot. We sighted the scope in and with a tripod rest shot amazing. We were plucking off 12oz beer cans full of water and beer bottles full of water 8 times out of ten. Thats a small bird sized object and this gun is for hunting so thats great because 80 yards (ACTUAL 80 yards) is a long way for a pellet gun. And let me tell you it was still moving with some force, blowing through the cans and leaving holes the size of my index or middle finger in the back. It was fun to see the delay after shooting and then the bottles exploding a second or 2 later. Anyway, in conclusion pick the right pellet and this gun can do amazing things.

Farmerboy's Response to 67948_Frood.'s Review

Written on: 12/12/2008

I found this review helpful because... its honest and straight to the point

Tetryl's Response to 67948_Frood.'s Review

Written on: 06/02/2005

Finally, somebody who knows what he's talking about, nothing but praise from me on this rifle.
<br>But you not only got to have the strength to cock it but the brains to use it.
<br>