Air Arms 410E Review

• Accuracy

• Handling

Pneumannic.'s review of Air Arms 410E

“Wonderfully accurate rifle and great value!! Cheapest...”

Written on: 24/01/2003 by Pneumannic. (1 review written)

Good balance for the weight, high capacity and high power. Quiet built in shroud to save $150 on moderator Adjustable power option for $60 - lowers velocity, gives more shots Great stock with high cheekpeice - fits nice Great 3 way adjustable trigger - might need some tweaking out of box Very accurate with JSB Domes and Beeman pellets Manometer very accurate 10 shot easy to load magazine Quick connects are included with gun Very smooth cocking stroke for quick repeated shots Very light weight for capacity and power Nice looking rifle Shoots .5 to .75" groups from bench at 50yds with JSB Exacts.

Only one magazine is included with gun - spares are $45 Recently magazines had breakage issues but is under investigation by company and will soon by fixed No safety - but you can decock the gun after removing the magazine Filling quick connect should be smaller sized Cocking bolt should have ball detents to lock bolt closed in firing position and when all the way open FT removable plate with bore groove to replace magazine and allow 410's to be used in FT match's as single shots.

General Comments
Wonderfully accurate rifle and great value!! Cheapest and best performance when mag capacity, air capacity, built in shroud and accuracy, workmanship and design is considered. I think it runs head to head with even the more expensive guns in performance but probably not in fit and finish. It's no slouch though. I have owned this rifle in .22cal for over a year and when I saw this site I had to pitch my .02 - I bought this gun after having a FX Tarantula for a while and while that gun was my one and only I am shooting the 410E more now due mainly to air capacity and stock fit. I turned down the power on my 410E and have been shooting .22 Premiers at 850 for 50 shots a tank. I normally fill to 200 and run down to 150 or lower. That's usually about 5 magazines. I went to this site to get the British perspective on airguns and was surprised to see this model has almost all Americans posting here! I wanted to see what the thousands of UK shooters were saying about Falcons, FX's, Daystates, Theobens, Loguns, Ripley's, Webley's, BSA's and AA's in FAC or 12lb.
I like this rifle and would recommend it to anyone and would buy another if it were lost. I can't say this for the Tarantula. One issue with this genre of shooting irons is that we are forced to buy guns from specs and pictures and phone salesmen descriptions rather than firearms that are stocked locally and you can touch and feel and shoulder these rifles in person. I think I was very lucky to get a rifle that I like as much as I do buying sight unseen from someone I didn't know. I should thank Steve at Pomona for doing a great job of giving me a very accurate description of what my 410E expectation and experience would be like without hype or sales fluff. Now I know Steve and the next purchase will be way too easy.

• Accuracy

• Handling

68862_Viking22.'s Response to 67638_Pneumannic.'s Review

Written on: 29/01/2003

Hey Pneumannic, I'm just down the road from you a few hours and the only other airgunner in this state. How about we get together to hit some "gophers". Let me know if you're interested. What scope did you put on your gun? I have the Simmons 44Mag with Target Turrets. I'm looking forward to this year with special interest!! I'm a bass/pike/sunny fisherman from Minnesota but now I've got flyfishin for trout and airgunning for all kinds of critters and lots of new tricks to learn. It's a great new world!!

80327_Gordon.'s Response to 67638_Pneumannic.'s Review

Written on: 16/03/2003

I just got my 410E back from Pomona Airguns with the adjustable power mod installed. I turned the power way down to all the way in and the gun gave me almost twice as many shots and got pretty quiet. My son is playing with it now to compare it with his thousand dollar fancy target guns and check how fast the pellets are going and make some graphs on his computer.
<br>Boy, that Steve from Pomona is a real sweetheart guy and no wonder so many 410E owners are doing business with him. I must have talked on the phone with him for over 2 hours. He said when I come down his way to let him know in advance and he'd take me out ground squirrel hunting and run over to his warehouse and let me see any of the guns he has in stock. I think my son might tag along too.

80325_Quicksilver66.'s Response to 67638_Pneumannic.'s Review

Written on: 16/03/2003

JAG, First I was going to post a review but after reading them all I'd just be repeating them and I frankly learned a few things about the 410E in the process. I've had my 410E for a little over a year (also own a .22 Venom Viper) and really love it. I'm not sure if I can convince you that its a great gun and quite frankly don't really care if you don't get it after reading this. Hey, I'm just being honest. I'll just tell you what I know and try to answer your questions best I can. Also lighten up a bit, this is supposed to be fun!
<br>I shoot my gun almost every day as I live 14 miles from the nearest town and my nearest neighbour is 6 miles away. I'm a partially disabled teacher and shoot all summer long every gal darned day till fall as motivation to get out and excercise, range of motion therapy. Hey I deal with kids goin through puberty all year and shootin for 90 days is required therapy! I've not had any problems with my baffles shooting out, accuracy issues of any kind from leaning or knocking the gun over (two or three times), my magazines (2) are fine and not cracked, I've had to replace my oring once (on my .22 Venom Viper too (the gun will get very loud near your face, can't miss it), my Viper sometimes goes off when cocking for no reason scaring the hell out of me) and that is the only downtime I've had with the gun. I've probably shot around 20,000 or so pellets since I bought the gun. I shoot mainly Crosmen Diablo, FTS or HN Match.
<br>I bought my gun originally from Airguns of AZ originally and they and Straight Shooters told me NOT to get the adjustable power option when I inquired about it. Finally after reading the yellow board and this site I decided to call Steve and see what all the hype was all about. I was told Steve was a BOJACKER (whatever that is) and he wouldn't touch my gun if I bought it from someone else. I found out that he'd work on any gun sent in to him regardless of where it was bought and only focused on questioning what I was looking for in the gun and to make me happy. He really went out of his way to let me know what to expect and what not to expect. I had some extra money and decided to try it out. I really like adjusting the power and not having to remove the stock like my Viper. I was wanting to slow down my FTS and the adjustable power gave me extra shots and allowed me to slow the pellets down to 900fps or so. I do some paper punching and hunting so I like changing to wadcutters and the hunting pellets. I have limited access to a chrony but notice that I'm getting 4 -5 magazines of shooting now when I used to only get 3. That is definitely an improvement in my book. I bought a scuba tank last year and that made my life easier.
<br>Read the other reviews and comments and make up your own mind. I read all the reviews on all the guns and bought the Viper and the 410E. I like them both but have been shooting the 410E only lately because of the repeater - bility.
<br>Good luck on your decision!

79892_Jag Highlander.'s Response to 67638_Pneumannic.'s Review

Written on: 14/03/2003

How many of you guys have 410E cracked magazine covers? Just wondering if its still an issue cuz I jus read on SS that its not an issue anymore. What about the accuracy problem with leaning your barrel against something or blasting your magazine faceplate to peices or wearing out your O-ring or shooting out your baffles? Also are you guys getting anymore shots with those power mods when you lower the power? Can you show me some graphs of the number of shots vs velocity? Tell the truth now! Any other problems? Sometimes its hard to get owners to be critical about their guns. Don't mean to sound like a jerk but want to know what I'm getting into before I slap down the green. I like to check with the owners after getting the dealer schmooze. Did'nt mean to come across so harsh but I've read about alot of issues on SS that scare me about this gun. Just making sure I'm not buying a headache.

77211_Samson44.'s Response to 67638_Pneumannic.'s Review

Written on: 04/03/2003

Hey just noticed I had some fellow airgunners a few hours down the road all with the same model airgun no doubt! We'll all have to get together for a 410E reunion. Anybody got any good ranch connections for some chuck shootin?

77194_Jurgen Reinschlammer.'s Response to 67638_Pneumannic.'s Review

Written on: 04/03/2003

With regard to the 410E trigger adjustment, what guide did you use to improve the trigger pull to two stages. I want to improve my trigger but don't know which one of 3 adjustments to start first or which way to turn. No plan do I have on this. The instructions are not so step by step to guide me from getting something very bad. How long did it take for your entire process of improvement? My trigger is quite heavy but I am afraid it could be very much worse.

75691_Lord Of The Rings.'s Response to 67638_Pneumannic.'s Review

Written on: 26/02/2003

I am heading to MT this summer for a Gopher shoot and will be bringing my trusty 410E and a ton of pellets. I'll be east of Livingston about 1 hour and staying on a private ranch. I did this last summer and shot up 10 boxes of Crosman premier pellets in 2 weeks. I had to run over to the local Bob Wards in Bozeman and buy more of whatever I could find. I also went flyfishing on the Bighorn, Yellowstone and local Spring Creeks. Before I get carried away with my memories of the trip I just wanted to say that the 410E was abused for 2 weeks in the dust and wind but still kept on shooting very accurately till the last shot when my wife forced me to get into the car at gunpoint to go home. I was lubing the pellets with One Lube and had a very dirty gun when I got home too. The quick connects and the carbon fibre tanks and pumps worked well. I filled my 410E 68 times with my first 88 CF ScotPack before the tank hit 2700 psi and I had to refill in Bozeman. I actually had to pump about a dozen fills with the FX pump until I could get the tank filled again. I was shooting a Elite 4200 6x24 and I really took a ton of Gophers. I got some 10-15 pounder ground hogs with head shots and some even bigger but I really like the gophers cause there are so many of them and the local ranchers worship you when they see what you can do.

73252_Gordon.'s Response to 67638_Pneumannic.'s Review

Written on: 16/02/2003

I live in Helena and shoot a 410E, Goldstar and a SuperSport. My office staff bought me a 410E at my retirement party and it's been the greatest fun I've had since I was a kid. My son has several $1000 PCP rifles for target from Germany and he is going to join me for some local gopher shoots this year.

73024_Pneumannic.'s Response to 67638_Pneumannic.'s Review

Written on: 15/02/2003

Just had a Beemn Muzzle Break made by Steve at Pomona to put on the end of my 410E. He had to machine it out all the way and I just clamp the two screws down cause it looks mean and keeps the baffles from blowing out. I havn't had this issue but read about some who did in the cold weather. It only cost me $40 and looks mean!!!

71163_Pneumannic.'s Response to 67638_Pneumannic.'s Review

Written on: 07/02/2003

Vik22, I live in Chicago and have a cabin in MT that I live in during the summer and fall. The winter I spend in AZ and the spring I'm home in Chicago. I won't be in MT till June but this year I'll be building a new cabin so I might not have time to shoot airguns. This will only be my second year in MT but last year I spent too much time hunting and fishing and my old cabin didn't winter well (luckily is was a mild winter) so this year I'm tearing it all down and building a new one.