Cybergun Smith & Wesson Sigma mod. SW40F CO2 Review

dundekkers's review of Cybergun Smith & Wesson Sigma mod. SW40F CO2

“It took me a long time to find the Cybergun Smith &...”

Written on: 07/08/2005 by dundekkers (1 review written)

-Ultra Realistic -Very Powerful (will get back on that in review) -Blowback is a real kicker -Large mag. and gas reservoir -Great after sale service -Threaded barrel (will get back on that in review) -Fairly cheap -CO2 Powered (handy if you also own a lot of CO2 Pistols/Rifles) -1.5 Joule and 110 m/s as stated on box (will again get back on that in review)

-Expensive magazines -Safety (will get back on that in review)

General Comments
It took me a long time to find the Cybergun Smith & Wesson Sigma in Belgium, but once I copied the product number from the product's website and took this to the local gunshop, it arrived within the classical waiting period of 2 weeks...
The moment I bought it, the gun cost me 147.50 EUR retail. The company's French (Cybergun) so there's no gain for you Europeans by ordering it from a place using Dollars, just thought I'd mention that, knowing that I got my Anics Skif (Russia) when the Dollar was at quite a low value (1.33 USD for 1 Euro); it saved me a whole lot of money.

The guy from the gun shop was quite curious when I came to collect the order, so we popped in a CO2 jet, went outside and TRIED to fire it. Both of us being stubborn gun nuts, we -of course- hadn't read the manual... After loading 1 round, he pulled the trigger; it fired 1 BB, the slide locked back and everything seemed fine. Up next: a double-tap, 2 BBs were loaded, same story... Up next: a full magazine, I got to fire it, not reading the manual turned out to be a bad idea, there appears to be a safety at the bottom of the handle, not exactly the most visible spot to put one, let alone a handy location... I pulled the trigger, slide locked back with a full mag (minus 1 round) still in it, and a hissing sound was heard: Not good, I tapped the slide release with my thumb, slide moved 1/8 of an inch, had to PUSH it forward to close it, when the slide was closed, the hissing stopped, and strange enough: the hammer wasn't cocked.
The shop owner started reading the manual, I started unloading and field-stripping (I kind of knew in advance how it worked ) He mentioned the safety, I tracked the working of the safety inside the gun, seeing a pin/spring about 2 inches long and with a hook on every end. We unanimously agreed that a gun wasn't a good place for a safety, and whooped it out in no-time using but a hairpin.
Now, the gun's ultra-reliable!

I got home and couldn't resist emptying the mag a few times (about 80 shots) using the remaining CO2. As the mag started to cool, I noticed no drop in power or range. The gun must have some sort of constant pressure system built in I guess. Only the last 5 shots (sometimes only 4 shots), you feel that the recoil becomes quite sl w, until it won't cycle anymore. Yet again a nice feature: If the gun notices that the slide is cycled, but the hammer's left uncocked, it releases the last CO2; you are made aware of that by a hissing sound. This last feature is no more than logical if you look at the internals, there's a piston used for blowback, and until it's fully charged with CO2, it will keep draining CO2 from the mag, if of course the mag is near empty, the piston will try to charge, draining every last bit of gas, thus making it safe to remove the capsule of CO2 from the magazine... Splendid!

About the field stripping: It's easy to do and reveals a walhalla for every browning collector, you sea the classical browning HP locking lug system, but that's not the essence of this review, It also reveals a free floating stainless steel barrel inside a cast brass (and chromed) outer barrel, which has a fancy threading at the business end, I've tried all European sizes of thread, but couldn't find the right one. For those interested:
Inside diameter of thread in barrel: 11.1 mm
Outside diameter of fitting thread: 11.65 mm
I found a fitting thread on a cheap Chinese 1 Euro flashlight; it even had an O-ring ;)

About the power: well, having shot about every BB-gun pistol out there, I could say that this is about the hardest kicking, smoothest firing, biggest hole making' pistol out there... 0.25g BB clocked at 107m/s at 19 Celsius, after already having fired 10 rounds using that same capsule of CO2. (Cybergun premium BB: 18 Euro: 2000 pcs.)

As for the power in Joule, I'm not a rocket scientist, YET!

I must say, after peacefully de-installing the safety (nicer said than done) and oiling and deburring the whole thing inside out, this pistol gets 10 stars from me!

Written on: 04/06/2006

is yours the aluminium slide version? thats what i have. nice review btw

Natronface's Response to dundekkers's Review

Written on: 18/02/2010

i have the same gun but mine has the plastic slide. It worked completely fine before. But now i can't cock the gun. It just won't move. And since it doesn't move i can't strip the gun down to see the problem. Any suggestions?

Timmah's Response to dundekkers's Review

Written on: 20/12/2009

when you field strip the gun, look at the hammer and right behind it there is the spring that is very tense causing the hammer to put too much force on the slide. pull the back of the4 spring up with the ridge of a key and hold it there for about 30 seconds and that should do the trick. you may need to do it about 3 separate times to keep it broke in.

459661_Beemer834's Response to dundekkers's Review

Written on: 12/05/2009

hey so i had a similar problem with the slide cocking back but not forward (and the hammer doesn't cock). I took out the safety, and now it works perfectly except when the cartridge is in. If i manually cock it, everything will work fine, but once i shoot and the co2 forces the blowback action, the slide stays in the back position and does not cock the hammer. I was wondering if you had any idea on what might be wrong?

Sandman45's Response to dundekkers's Review

Written on: 01/09/2008

thnks taken to 2 skirmishes works well would just like a second mag though surprisingly in the club i play with everyone only has 92f's for there pistols. semi aegs are the weapon of choice.
<br/>

Written on: 29/08/2008

I don't have a clue, I'm not even sure whether green gas will make it cycle. How about heading to an airsoft skirm with it, plenty of glock mags there.

Sandman45's Response to dundekkers's Review

Written on: 28/08/2008

do you know if this gun will fit the KSC glock 50 round pretty much the same gun i think but made by KSC

Written on: 05/09/2006

A few days ago I looked at how much the barrel and outer barrel wobble inside the gun. I have fixed this with good old camo duck tape and padded out the space which has done wonders for the accuracy. I was hitting a man sized target at 35 yards when aiming up a little

Written on: 16/06/2006

I have decided to get the Glock 19 as it has the metal slide, I like the 18C but the plastic slide I hear breaks and a metal slide is expensive.
<br>
<br>many thanks about telling me how to strip my pistol, I've successfully done it several times now :D
<br>
<br>Deadeyedick

Written on: 08/06/2006

Thanks alot I'll give it a try.

Written on: 08/06/2006

Edit previous post: -It's the 18C that has the full-auto fire mode, the 32C hasn't...

Written on: 07/06/2006

The slide not coming off is due to the fact that it needs to push the hammer down a millimetre while at it, this requires a lot of force, so push harder... ;-)
If I'd buy a Glock, it would be a 32C:
-Looks nearly like the one you were going to buy
-Standard metal slide
-Compensator holes in slide
-Full auto fire mode... Need I say more?
One good advice: take a KSC gun. I don't seem to be able to find the 32C on redwolf though...

Written on: 07/06/2006

Yea there's a lower powered co2 version with a plastic slide. Its lighter and has about 0.5 joules for ireland. I have one of the metal slide ones except I'm not allowed to use it till my b-day 14th june.
Just a quickie, when I try to take it apart, I pull down both the tabs and it releases the slide but it will only move about an inch forward then it won't move anymore.
Am I doing something wrong because I have done what it say's in the booklet?
Also what do you think about the Glock 19 with a metal slide? There's one on www.wolfarmouries.co.uk on the 6-8th page i think. Any thoughts would be good as you seem to have more knowledge on airsoft than I do.Chears, Deadeyedick.

Written on: 05/06/2006

It's my picture, so the answer to that question is: yes, I have the aluminium slide version, I am aware of a chromed slide version, but that's also aluminium, yet chromed... Is there any other version?