Webley Patriot Review

• Accuracy

• Handling

BirdLarsen.'s review of Webley Patriot

“Ok, I was trying to decide whether or not to get the...”

Written on: 17/01/2003 by BirdLarsen. (1 review written)

#1 Quality - stock, blueing, trigger.....and more #2 Power, power, power - whether it's .22 or .25 this thing has as much or more power than gun much more in price #3 Accuracy - I found it to be extremely accurate

For me....none Apparently for some....weight

General Comments
Ok, I was trying to decide whether or not to get the Patriot for a very long time. I read every review at this site (as well as many others), talked to dealers, and visited shops to see for myself. Finally, I bought the .25 caliber version (you can put other caliber barrels on it to make it a .22 .20 etc.). I didn't buy it to "show-off", I bought it for one reason only, an accurate, powerful, ADULT-size, HUNTING weapon. Now it's my turn to say a few words about this gun. At first reading of some reviews on this site I couldn't believe the silly comments
Firstly this gun was ACTUALLY as hard to cock as some would have you believe(IT IS NOT). Hard to cock?? Huh? More than some guns? Yes!....HARD?? NO! This is an adult gun...if you are an adult you should have NO problem cocking this gun (my 16 year old neighbor doesn't). You simply cock it like you are supposed to (with leverage) and it is NO problem (sitting, standing, laying, i've done all). I was pepared for this epic struggle like a compound bow set at 100lbs., give me a break. IS this thing hard to cock? NOT AT ALL.
Secondly, comments saying this thing REALLY kicks or "recoil like a firearm" had me wondering. COME ON, give me a break, this is not a 30-06. It DOES break cheap scopes...but that is the bi-directional recoil...NOT the "massive backward recoil". Once and for all....Recoil IS NOT a problem.
Thirdly, reviews have complained about the weight. It is a little heavy, but to say it's tiring is ludicrous (once again assuming we are all adults). Basically the weight is like a shotgun with wood stock (8-10 lbs). Anyone gone bird hunting with a shotgun(not those light syn-stock ones) all day?...I have and it's no different. Take the muzzle weight off.
My last topic before summary is accuracy. I guess if you think it's SOO heavy and kicks like a 12-guage (then you might have trouble shooting this gun accurately. However, that is YOU the shooter and not the gun. For those of us who ARE capable of shooting a gun over 600-700 fps in .177 OR a gun that is not a recoiless PCP, then this gun is a very accurate hunting weapon. Remember this is not a 500-600 fps .177 target match gun...IT just IS NOT FOR THAT PURPOSE. But it IS a hunting gun and i can CONSISTANTLY shoot with 1" accuracy at 25-35 yards with IRON sights....with a scope i can push that out to 40-60 yards(killed smaller birds a plenty at 70-90 yards)....And for HUNTING that is PLENTY...repeat PLENTY good enough. You will not shoot "one hole" but once again it is not made for that type of shooting. This gun will be as accurate as you are for all airgun hunting purposes.
In conclusion, this gun is powerful, accurate, of the highest quality in materials and craftsmanship, and a hell of a airgun hunting rifle. I rountinely kill crows at 40-50 yards(sometimes further) with 1 and only 1 shot...IN FACT, in a uncountable number of shot birds, squirrels, rabbits, and other small game and varmits I have yet to have even ONE animal get away after a hit...now THAT is stopping power. Sure...the .25 has a little arc...come on it's a 20-30+ grain hunk of lead propelled with air! As with ALL super-mags (not PCP) LEARN the gun and you WILL shoot it accurately. I know i've been long-winded (and a little rude) but this stuff had to be said...I got fed up with these inaccurate reviews on this gun and could not just sit idly by any longer. If you get this gun and for the RIGHT reasons, you WILL NOT BE DISSAPPOINTED) Enough said - great gun.
This is NOT a PCP. Do not even bother with that type of comparison....compare a pcp to a pcp and a springer to a springer. Ok, now to the points.

• Accuracy

• Handling

103719_Einstein.'s Response to 66100_BirdLarsen.'s Review

Written on: 03/06/2003

I totally agree with BirdLarsen. His review says it all; this is one hell of a gun, but not for all. If you move from match (card) shooting to this rifle, you're in for a surprise. But give the gun time and you won't be dissapointed. I shoot hunting rifles of all sorts and then this gun isn't a problem. Weightproblem? Wait 'till yer eightteen boy!
<br>Get a good scope with dampa mount en you will shoot the sox of a fox!
<br>But don't expect the performance of a fire-arm, driving a GTI won't qualify you for the Monaco GP after all.
<br>It's a airgun for the hunter. No more, no less.
<br>Best advice: TRY IT !

Farmerboy's Response to 66100_BirdLarsen.'s Review

Written on: 12/12/2008

A very good and honest review i am buying a patriot shortly i will post a review

Kukareku's Response to 66100_BirdLarsen.'s Review

Written on: 04/02/2007

$500 for a springer? Get a PCP and have even MORE POWER with NO RECOIL!

Piscesguy's Response to 66100_BirdLarsen.'s Review

Written on: 28/02/2004

Hi Birdlarsen, I thought your review was excellent! As a big game hunter I know my 30.06 that\'s zeroed at 200 yards will shoot a couple of inches higher at 100, and then drop quickly. My question is for rabbits and pheasant I\'m sure the arcing of the .25 isn\'t a problem, but for smaller game birds that require more pin-point accuracy at various ranges is it? If your scope is zeroed at 40 yards with the .25 will it shoot within a 1.5 inch circle from 10-50 yards? If you see this and can answer my question it would be really appreciated. Thanks, John

Clane121's Response to 66100_BirdLarsen.'s Review

Written on: 13/10/2003

Well Put!, by BirdLarsen and Einstein. One final point, if your going for your first ADULT AIRGUN and your not an occasional to avid firearms enthusiast, start with a bit less air gun. I bought this gun just weeks after getting into air gunning and it took me weeks to learn to shoot it. ( I couldn't hit anything at a distance. )
<br>And, while I really wanted to blame my inexperience on this air rifle. It was me...
<br>
<br>I now have a 6x24x50 scope on mine and can consistently peg empty 12ga. shells @ 50 yrds., ( shell stood up ) That sure as hell made a believer out of me. It also impressed the guys there dialing in their 7MM Mag
<br>
<br>Case in point: I think you get it...

Dick's Response to 66100_BirdLarsen.'s Review

Written on: 13/10/2003

Yeah BirdLarsen, you're right. Your review places the Patriot in the right perspective.
<br>
<br>I own a HW 90 (.22 and .25), a Patriot (.25) and a Rapid MKII (.22.
<br>In terms of accuracy I rate the Rapid No.1, the Patriot No. 2 and the HW90 No.3.
<br>But that said: the Patriot is still more than adequate on 40-50 yards in the field. It is a truly hunting tool, nothing for the backyard plinkers. (I leave the fox to my Remington 7 mm magnum)
<br>
<br>The HW90 is ok on lower power levels, but when it is adjusted to the same muzzle velocity as the Patriot and Rapid MKII the accuracy is gone.
<br>Cheers, Dick