Bentota, Taj Exotica Review

annamariawatkins's review of Bentota, Taj Exotica

“My boyfriend and I stayed in Taj Exotica in October...”

Written on: 27/07/2005 by annamariawatkins (1 review written)

Friendly staff. Beautiful surroundings. Beautiful beach.

Beach boys. Quite expensive drinks. Lacks evening entertainment. Constant tipping.

General Comments
My boyfriend and I stayed in Taj Exotica in October 2004.

The hotel lobby is impressive with marble floors and fine decor, and the staff at the reception can't do enough for you.

We stayed in a standard sea facing room with a balcony. The view from the balcony was lovely, it faced the sea, gardens and the pool area. I wouldn't recommend staying in the rooms facing the other way, as these face the railway track. Although the train doesn't run very often, the noise is enough to wake you up.

The room was quite basic, and I wouldn't class it as 4-5*, the furniture could do with updating and replacing, and the room in size wasn't very big. The towels were replaced every day, but the staff were always expecting tips.

The beach was gorgeous, with white fine sand. The beach boys and the men selling coconuts, do get on your nerves after a while. Also watch the waves at certain times of year, especially October, as they are strong, and I wouldn't recommend swimming too far out.

The local elephant made regular visits to the beach, and an elephant ride is a must!! This can be organised by the hotel.

The evening buffet was lovely. The food was different each night, and there was plenty to choose from for everyone. The evening entertainment gets a bit boring, and the music stops around midnight, although there is a disco for those who wish to continue. The dress code is casual, although some people did make more of an effort.

There is plenty to explore and see in Sri Lanka, and I would recommend that you don't settle just for the beach. The hotel organises various trips, and I highly recommend you explore the rest of Sri Lanka, purely because the scenery is very beautiful, and there is so much more to the country than just the beach.

All in all I would recommend Taj Exotica, but I wouldn't recommend staying there for more than 10 nights, as it can get a little bit boring after a while, especially with the local boys trying to get you to go on trips.