Olympus OM1n Review

• Photograph Quality

andres bonifacio's review of Olympus OM1n

“When I recently travelled to the Philippines I wanted...”

Written on: 23/07/2005 by andres bonifacio (2 reviews written)

Well-built, quiet, great (but unconventional) handling, light in weight, compact. Nice (large) magnification in viewfinder. Except for meter, totally manual operation.

Dated metering (Cds and match needle), slightly low contrast viewfinder, fragile flash hotshoe, 1.35v mercury battery required.

General Comments
When I recently travelled to the Philippines I wanted to take a camera that would be easy on the shoulders and would not fail me. My Nikons and Contaxes were too heavy, and my Leica needed servicing (otherwise, it fits the bill). That left me with my 20 year old, recently-serviced OM1N. What a great picture-taking tool!

This camera is light, quick, quiet and totally reliable. It's metering is old-fashion (center-weighted Cds only), the shutter speeds only go 1-1/1000s, and there is no exposure information in the viewfinder, save for the meter needle and flash warning light (but who needs flash in available light photography?). The small body has good oversized dials and levers. Great for my smallish hands. The Zuiko lenses have their own mystique, with which I am in total agreement.

Overall build quality is very good (not fantastic like the Nikon Fs or Leica Ms, but it costs much less). The one bad point is the removeable plastic flash hotshoe, which always ends up cracked. Throw it away (or store it, the camera looks better without it.

My recent servicing of the OM1N was routine CLA and changing the battery wiring from the nasty 1.35v mercury button to a 1.5v silver alkaline. Do this and you can pass the camera on to your grandchildren.

• Over 1 Year

Time Camera Owned