Written on: 17/07/2005 by skyhawk (1 review written)
1) Can use both + & - DVD/R and RW
2) Easy to adapt to be region free
3) Simple to use with its Guider
4) Superb value for its price
5) Has progressive scan mode
6) Also plays SVCD, VCD, MP3s and jpg discs
7) Excellent picture on 1 or 2 hour modes
8) Variable chapter markers
9) Firmware upgradeable
1) Tuner does *not* record in stereo!!
2) Picture quality at 4 or 6 hr mode significantly worse. (S-video cable helps some)
3) Takes a minute to scan blank media before use
LiteOn LVW-5005 - Got this as an entry level model, and for its price it is magnificent. Easily allows transfers of VHS to DVD, and cassette tapes to CD, and plays mp3s, VCDs, picture disks, but not DivX or Mpeg4. One big drawback is that its TV tuner is mono only. You can get around this by having it record off of an input from a hi-fi VCR; simple fix but shows poor design judgement. The DVDs it makes are easily playable in other players and my PC, though you need to finalize the disk. Won't work well with cheap-o brands of DVDs and CDs, but good name brands work great. Also if you want to hook up a digital camcorder thru firewire, make sure you get the IEEE-1394 cable ready model. You can also change the chapter markers to be every 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 or 30 minutes -- the 5 min. skip is great for getting past the idiot TV ads.