Asus A7V8X-X Review

• Ease of Set Up

jesse0192's review of Asus A7V8X-X

☆☆☆☆☆
Asus A7V8X-X

“Tried to install XP 3three or four times. The first...”

Written on: 16/07/2005 by jesse0192 (1 review written)

People think your computer is nice if you tell them you have an Asus board. That's about it.

Would not run windows XP without crashing. Ran Windows 98 but still not without its problems (frequent crashing in games).

General Comments
Tried to install XP 3three or four times. The first time the installation went alright but once I got into XP the first time I hit a key it crashed (I was typing something into the 'run' dialog but I found it doesn't matter-it crashed if I hit a key. I tried Windows a few more times with the same results (except sometimes it would let me hit two or three keys first. I reinstalled XP only to find that it had the same problem during the installation this time. Tried a few more times but it was just a matter of time (usually less than ten key presses) before it would crash.

I installed Windows 98 without any problems. That got rid of the key-press crashing problem but introduced other problems (besides 98's inferior security features). When I would run a game, it wouldn't last more than ten minutes before either the game just dissappeared and went back to the desktop or the computer would just reboot itself. The computer would still run alright (although it would sometimes and crash randomly but not often unless I was playing a game) so I used it for a week or so just to get on the net and stuff.

Whenever the computer froze and reset itself, it made a bunch of weird patterns on the screen for a moment, leading me to think that it may have been a problem with my video card (which was a NV Winfast A6200). I RMA'd the card, and the new one did the exact same thing.

The solution--bought a Gigabyte 7VT600P RZ board. Computer now runs crash-free like it should.

• Ease of Set Up