Glock Model 22 Review

Billyboytexan's review of Glock Model 22

“I bought my Glock model 22 as a fully refurbished item...”

Written on: 10/07/2005 by Billyboytexan (2 reviews written)

Very accurate and reliable pistol.
Has been used extensively by Law Enforcement / F.B.I. for good reason.
Easy pistol to clean and field strip.
Accessories are easily available.

Initial trigger pull for the first round is a little heavy when the gun is standard and fully loaded.
Slide release mechanism tabs are a little bit finnicky, but work just fine.
Not the best looking pistol in the world!

General Comments
I bought my Glock model 22 as a fully refurbished item from a local F.F.L. for $425 + tax a little under 2 years ago. It came with two 10 round clips and was already fitted with Glock's factory night sights. Everything else on the gun was standard. Its previous owner was a Police Department who had traded it in on one of the newer Glocks which has the rail underneath the barrel for attaching accessories, whereas my older version (manufactured in 1992) does not.

Before I bought this pistol, I went to great lengths to research and try out as many different pistols and revolvers as I could. After firing many different pistols and revolvers in many different calibers (varying in power from .380 ACP to .44 Magnum) I decided that the Glock 22 in .40 S&W was the gun that was best suited for me. Soon after purchasing this pistol, I took my Texas Concealed Handgun License and used this gun to complete the range part of the test. I was the only one carrying out the test with a Glock Model 22 and the only one to score the maximium 250/250. I put alot of this result down to the Glock's performance as it was loaded with inexpensive 180 grain FMJ ammo and I had never shot that well before with any other pistol or revolver.

I can say that I have now put many thousands of rounds of ammo through this pistol of varying types, weights and manufacturers (including snake shot) and it has NEVER failed to fire on any occasion.

A few months ago I purchased two additional Glock factory 15 round clips. Both of these clips have always functioned flawlessly in the pistol.

When it comes to ammo choice for this pistol, I have always bought cheap 180 grain F.M.J.s for target practice, which have always worked just fine. As for concealed carry, I have always loaded up with Remington Golden Saber 165 grain Brass Jacketed Hollow Points as they were rated at 94% for "one shot stop" according to Chuck Hawk's chart of handgun cartridge stopping power which can be viewed on the net.

Ergonomically, I think the pistol is well designed and find it sits just nicely in my hand.

I seriously think anyone would be hard pressed to find a pistol which is as good all round for the money. If I end up trading this pistol in at some point, it will only be for another Glock and no doubt in .40 S&W caliber.