Sony DAV-S880 Review

• Sound Quality

• Ease of Set Up

DAV.'s review of Sony DAV-S880

Sony DAV-S880

“I had problems ordering my system from RGBdirect. But...”

Written on: 09/01/2003 by DAV. (1 review written)

Looks spanking, sounds great. Space saving. The bass is unbelievable.

Layer change is awful. I don't know if its just mine but the system hangs for half a second or more.

General Comments
I had problems ordering my system from RGBdirect. But it was £600 so never mind. It is multiregion.
The setup is tricky but once you know it memorises settings for each media, eg 2 channel, pro logic, 5.1 and dts, it all makes sense. You just have to really try each sound field until you are happy. CDs are a good example, they play best with Pro logic2 but this only works in the normal surrond mode takes some fiddling. Controller is odd but better than my old one.
Considering the price of 4 sony stands for the DAVS550, this system works out cheaper and has better speakers and sub.
I really looked into this before buying, but, there are two problems that weren't on the spec. No S-video in and now optical out (for MD recording). Also the lack of Scart may put some peopl off. But, the the rest of it GREAT.