Air Arms 410E Review

• Accuracy

• Handling

Ray.'s review of Air Arms 410E

“Overall the Air Arms 410E is a very great design that...”

Written on: 30/12/2002 by Ray. (1 review written)

SUPER ACCURATE!
Very Quiet with built in shroud,
Manometer is more accurate than my Sumatra,
Very efficient,
Magazines load easily and hold round ball,
Very Powerful and Power Mod allows quiet shooting at low sound and velocity levels,
Bolt is easy to cock without losing sight picture,
Air capacity is very good,
Balance is excellent for offhand shooting,
Handsome lines on gun,
Walnut stock is very nice,
Excellent trigger.

Recharge port is too big - they should use the daystate size quick connectors!
NO SAFETY!
Need external decocking mechanism to cock and decock without indexing magazine,
Need extra magazine with gun,
Need extra breech seals and index springs with gun,
Make the recharge cover a snap on item and lighter black plastic.

General Comments
Overall the Air Arms 410E is a very great design that meets my needs for airgun hunting. It's not as powerful as my Sumatra but much more refined and a great value with the built in shroud and the power mod. I have been hunting rabbits with this gun for the last month and its by far my favorite over my Sumatra, Thor and SLR-98. Accuracy wise I am able to shoot much better groups with a larger variety of .22 pellets than the other two PCP rifles but most important I can shoot the 410E much better offhand due to the great stock fit/balance and trigger. I bought 2 extra magazines and they've all been great except the red dot gets hard to see with pellet lube after a few hundred rounds. These magazines hold H&N Rounds which I happen to have a case of that I need to shoot up. They don't group as well as JSB domes at 50 yds but are fine for use on Jack Rabbits. The 410E is the only gun that groups these rounds well.

• Accuracy

• Handling

66858_Storm Trooper.'s Response to 61463_Ray.'s Review

Written on: 21/01/2003

I agree with the quick connects are way too large. They should use the ones from Daystate. Other than that and the posts of guys busting mags I think the gun is great. I bought 3 extra mags and they are fine luckily!! Whew!!
The gun is way beyond my expectations for what I thought an air rifle could be and a quantum jump over what my boyhood Benjamin could do!!

95951_Perl.'s Response to 61463_Ray.'s Review

Written on: 08/05/2003

Daytrader, BE CAREFUL and VIGILANT! Always be aware of your muzzle and its orientation! Treat all guns like they were always loaded and never drop your guard! Only cock the gun when a shot is needed.
<br>
<br>Then you'll never have an accident and surround yourself with the same safety conscious shooters.

Sunnyside Scott.'s Response to 61463_Ray.'s Review

Written on: 07/04/2003

I bought my S410E second hand, about 3 weeks ago. It was in like new condition. My first impressionn was that the trigger was a little mushy on the take up, It broke very clean though. A little lube spray in the trigger mechanism cleared that up. I was going to try to adjust it but the instructions intimidated me a little. I did encounter a problem. While shooting something came loose inside of the air chamber, you could hear it sliding back and forth. I shot all of the air out of the gun and un screwed the chamber. There was a long slender brass piece that came loose from its setscrew. I simply put it back on and tightened the set screw. To get the gun to fill from an empty state I had to cock the gun to relieve the pressure on the valve. By using a scuba tank I had no problem restoring pressure.
<br>I was interested in knowing the size of the o-ring on the mag. and breech. I know that they are not SAE, I couldn't find them at my local NAPA auto parts store.
<br>I am very happy with the gun, I think it is a great value for the money, accurate and hard hitting. My other gun is a Daystate Harrier SE .177 . My hunting partener shoots a Tarantula .22 cal and this gun can hold it's ground. SScott

79890_Econmajor.'s Response to 61463_Ray.'s Review

Written on: 14/03/2003

Great reviews and comments. I have learned alot from all I've read here and elsewhere about the 410E. I like it when both Pro and Con issues are openly debated here. There are enough responses to make an educated decision based on the experience of owners - I'm new to airgunning and have yet to make a purchase but want to get the best deal possible with a good airgunsmith/dealer. I am the customer and want to know all the options and all the players involved, services/upgrades offered. I was doing some research on one dealer owned/run chat forum that doesn't allow any other direct competition dealers/services to be mentioned and realized that the information (while some is good) is skewed in the dealers favor. I realize that they don't want you to know about the lower prices from other vendors, goods and quality services that they don't offer in the fear of losing market share or customers. That is not the best scenario for me, the consumer - one needs to talk to all the dealers and read all the posts and all the beefs and kudos. I like to see users listing their best found airgun deals so we can get the best deals. Its what makes capitalism work!

79886_Bbmetzger.'s Response to 61463_Ray.'s Review

Written on: 14/03/2003

Herr Reinschlammer, I've been a customer of Steve's for about 7 years. Great service and the best value you'll find. He is taking the Beeman Universal Brake and milling out the ID to fit over the shroud of the 410E and locking it with the one screw. Some guys are wanting to put this on their guns for the look and one guy I heard is wanting to do this to keep the baffles from comming out. I think he's locktighting it on. I was going to put this on but thought it might interfere with the quick connect.
<br>
<br>He also does barrel cutting and crowning and other gun smith work. He's tuned an FWB124, R11, R8, R9LE and a HW97 for me and a co-worker has a Russ Best tuned R9LE which we compared recently at great length. Since the tune was done at the point of purchase I saved $35 in shipping alone and a bit more over the Russ Best tune. Steve buys the JM spring/piston upgrade and custom makes the guide and uses the same JM Tar and his own secret lubes. Not to slight Mr. Best in the very least (I know he is THE baseline of quality to measure all tunes!) but I was expecting a big difference in the two guns due to the low tune price I paid - which we examined for over six hours passing the guns back and forth to measure smoothness, groups and velocity. We unanimously concluded my gun had a nicer trigger adjustment but my buddies gun was shooting about 10 fps faster with Crosman Premier 7.9g, and our 30 yard groups were too close to determine which was better - we shot very nice groups with our own rifles but they both grew when shooting the other's. My tune was much cheaper due half to the savings in shipping. I really think I got a great value. Sorry to go on and on - I just wanted to say he does good work and now I send all my guns to him for repair or tunes. Hope that answers your question.
<br>I've had the power mod on my 410E for almost 2 years and love it - but then you only wanted to hear from disgruntled power mod owners - no complaints here. I increased the number of shots from 30 (Daystate Domes 970 fps) to almost 50 with slightly reduced power (Daystate Domes 860fps). Steve has increased the price of the power mod to $60 from $50 in the last 2 years - still a bargain - also all the dealers have increase the price of AA guns recently - $30 more across the board. Must be the weak dollar/pound sterling! The FX Tarantula prices have gone up even more, almost $100 too. OUCH!!!
<br>BB

77203_Daytrader.'s Response to 61463_Ray.'s Review

Written on: 04/03/2003

Has anyone had a close call with this gun due to its lack of a safety? Just wondering here.

77197_Jurgen Reinschlammer.'s Response to 61463_Ray.'s Review

Written on: 04/03/2003

What is "Steve" doing to fix the Beeman Muzzle Brake handle to the 410E? Is he a airgun technician? Is there an issue with the shroud baffles escaping? With the black quick connect cap and the Beeman Brake make the 410E very barrel heavy? I am curious to the improvement modifications that you can do to this rifle.

75970_Lief Rahr.'s Response to 61463_Ray.'s Review

Written on: 27/02/2003

Just got off the phone with Steve for one of those $40 Brakes cause I just blew my baffles out again. He'll have them in by the first week of March. I also found out I should have bought my spare mags and gun from him and I would have saved $75 just on the 410E and a magazine. I thought all internet dealers were about the same. I feel like I did when I bought my camera from the corner store and then saw the price online - ouch! I could have gotten the powermod for the same price I paid for just my gun.

75968_Storm Trooper.'s Response to 61463_Ray.'s Review

Written on: 27/02/2003

Solon - Steve at Pomona sells AA mags for $45. I just had him make me a Beeman Universal Brake that he machined out to fit the shroud which will also keep my baffles in. I didn't have any issues with them comming out but I thought I'd put this on since it looks really cool. He charged me $40 for milling out the brake to fit the 410E shroud. He is out right now but I think he said he'd have more brakes in by March.

75693_Dnadoc.'s Response to 61463_Ray.'s Review

Written on: 26/02/2003

Buy the magazines from Pomona - My boss turned me on to him cause he's very experienced and does tunes and airgunsmithing and is very reasonable. I've chatted with all of the dealers but only buy from Steve now. Just my opinion but I think he's the most sincere and gives me the best advice and value for my $$. He has the lowest prices but that's only the icing on the cake. He stands behind his work and his guns. I think the magazine issues with the 410E's are over.

74702_Solon.'s Response to 61463_Ray.'s Review

Written on: 22/02/2003

410E's Rule!! I've had one for over a year and just got a computer again to read all about this stuff. It's great to know about the orings in the barrel. I've been shooting my gun alot lately with my trusty blue pump and it was just starting to get really loud from the bolt. I just got some viton orings from my local fastner shop and after a few hours of struggleing got the oring in and now my gun is fixed!! I thought I was going to have to send the gun in!! My 410E shoots Barracuda's really well and now I'm going to try these JSB's I've heard so much about. I'm going to get another magazine too cause I want to get a spare. Does anybody know who has the best price for them? Arizona Airguns has them for $60 + shipping! I hope I get a good one for that much money!!

69081_Storm Trooper.'s Response to 61463_Ray.'s Review

Written on: 30/01/2003

Good info on the breech seals. I'm going to round up some spares to carry with me. Sounds like you've gotta run some rounds through this gun that only a scuba or graphite tank will be able to support. I'm glad to read some reports of users who have been shooting this gun for years and really pushing the envelope to show what these guns can do under heavy usage and their hunting escapades and game. Great site!! Funny I've read most folks don't take this site seriously. I've seen more good usable info on the 410E than anywhere else on the web!! HoooAaahh!!!!

67131_Meister Jaeger.'s Response to 61463_Ray.'s Review

Written on: 22/01/2003

Viton Seals on my 410E - I just threw the breech seal on my 410E this morning while hunting afield. If you don't lock the bolt down and fire the gun it will fly open and the oring can be launched out into space and lost (this also happened on my Falcon FN19 the first day I shot it.
I always carry spares (Viton -009) in my kit bag which saved the day since I was 100 yds from my car but 300 miles from home. A tool fashioned out of a paper clip easily reseated the new oring and I was back in business within 15 minutes. I saw a guy on the yellow board post about always carrying spares and I happen to work in a shop that stocks many viton orings sizes including -009 so I bagged a half dozen or so and put them into my kit bag. Thought I'd pass this along since it saved the last day of my shooting trip!!
<br>The 410E is alot easier to replace the oring than the Falcon or FX Tarantula. PCP's will wear out or throw Orings often and you don't want to be without!! My Falcon also goes through the loading port orings -008 so I carry bagfuls of those as well. The orings on my AA quick connects and my foster quick connects are also on my replacement list as well.