Gamo P-800 Review

psy303's review of Gamo P-800

“I bought this Gamo P-800 air pistol in a pack with...”

Written on: 10/05/2005 by psy303 (2 reviews written)

Nice look, accurate, best plasic I have ever seen.

Plastic gun, elevation is not adjustable, low power, no possibility to mount a scope.

General Comments
I bought this Gamo P-800 air pistol in a pack with pellet trap and pellets for €65. I was pleased since the first shot. For shooting at 6 meters this gun is well fitted and the pastic? It feels so massive, that I think if you throw this gun as far as you can, after it it will work without no problems.(nt) the power was low at all. i tried different pellets but i can't reach the velocity of 100m/s. I measured with my self made chrono with RWS Hobby 4.5g: 94m/s. this is about 2 Joule. I tried to power up this gun by changing the spring and maintainig the gun with stag fat. I build in a much more heavier spring. this spring was so strong, i colnd't believe it.the shooting sound was loud, i colnd't believe it. the pellet speed 101m/s. for this sound...diappionting. because the interior of the gun is plastic and the shooting sound was so intense, i decided to rebuild my original spring because i won't damage my gun. now i tried to increase accuracy by increasing the weight of the gun. i disassemble the gun and i filled every hollow space with lead balls. these little ones (0.1g) you need for fishing. to fix them all, i use hot glue. than i baked the parts of my gun in my oven at 120 C for 2h before i reassembe it.the result is gobsmacking! the gun double it's weight, the accuracy is significantly increased, the shooting feeling is much more better and now it feels like a gun! it is fitted to give a sure shoot at 10 Meters. as i said: "the accuracy is significantly increased". I can recommend this procedure !!!

until now i do up to 2000 shots with my gun without any problems.

----

I give 10 Stars for the value of money bacause this gun is easy to disasseble and every part of this gun has a very solid look though it was plastic. and the accuracy ? since i modified my gun, i am afraid by myself how dangerous i am.

tdt( total disassemble time ) is below one minute. i realy like my p800.

for overall rating i give 8 stars because there are better products than the p800. but since the weight increasing, it is only the leak of power and its consequences that displease.

Hotsky's Response to psy303's Review

Written on: 10/05/2005

Hi; How did you make the Chrony? I always wanted one, but don’t have the extra money :(

Psy303's Response to psy303's Review

Written on: 25/05/2005

i put 0.8 for input volume and i disabled the +20dB gain from my sound card, but every mike has another sensitivity. try the simple way and wrap your mike with some t-shirts. what happened on the wave EXACTLY, it is really hard to tell. maybe a better recording prog will help. psy303

Hotsky's Response to psy303's Review

Written on: 16/05/2005

Thanks a lot Psy303 I downloaded the program you mentioned and tried it with my Skif. I works pretty good ; ). One question though what do you put for mic’s input volume? I noticed that when I leave it high at say 0.8+ it’s hard to tell what’s happening on the wave. Also I simplified the formula for calculating the velocity: >m/s = distance (m)/ Time (in sec), In your case 14.17805s minus 14.12494s = 0.05311s, So, 5m / 0.05311s = 94.144m/s. Thanks again

Psy303's Response to psy303's Review

Written on: 10/05/2005

hi hotsky, extra money ??? i want a chrono too !!! now my self made chrono: i do the same thing that a chrono do. i measured the time, that the pellet net for a known distance. i measured at 5 meters. so all my results aren´t the muzzle velocity. my results are the average pellet speed for 5 meters. so the muzzle velocity is a few percent higer. but for me it is accurate enough. to build your self made chrono you need: a pc with sound card, a mike, and a recording program ( i used audacity, because it was the first i found for free. this prog isn´t very good but it works).
<br>1. place mike exacly at the half distace to the target and start the recording.
<br>2. shoot an exactly known distance from the muzzle to the target. ( i shoot at 5 meters )
<br>3. stop recording and do some math.
<br>with the audacity prog ( or any other ) you can see the recording as a wave form as a funktion of time. you can exactly see when you have fired and an when the pellet hit the trap. the difference is the time that the pellet neet for this distance. with this information you can calculate the average pellet speed for this distance. i do this measuring method with 3 different 7.5 joule weihrauch guns, and i measured with the first gun 173m/s, the second 176m/s, the third 179m/s. this shows how accurate this method is. example for my gamo p800: i used RWS hobby pelets with 0.45 gramms at five meters. i can see that i shot 14.12494s after the recording start. the pellet hit the trap after 14.17805s. so the difference is 53.11ms. this is the time that the pellet need for five meters. the SI unit is for speed is [1m/1s]. so i devide the difference by the distance. the result is 53.11ms/5m = 10.622ms/1m. now devide 1meter by the result. 1m/(10.622ms/1m) = 94.144 m/s. {average speed for 5 meters} the pellet energie: e=0.5*mv². 0.5*(92.144m/s)²*0.00045kg = 1.91 Joule
<br>always put the mike exactly between the measuring points or you have to do more math.
<br>an other example, same pellets same distance:
<br>the weihrauch hw50 15 Jears old ( german f type with max 7.5 joule). my results:
<br>16.153030s-16.12422s=28.81ms; 28.81ms/5 =5.762ms; 1/5.762ms = 173.55m/s.{average speed for 5 meters} e = 6.77 joule. hope you understand my proceeding and have fun with your new zero cost chronograph :) psy303