Sony VAIO VGN-S3XP Review

• Screen Quality

• Battery Life

simondawson's review of Sony VAIO VGN-S3XP

Sony VAIO VGN-S3XP

“Ok, it gets hot. Almost too hot to touch along the...”

Written on: 26/04/2005 by simondawson (1 review written)

All of it. Especially the graphics. And the rest too.

Well ... It gets warm.

General Comments
Ok, it gets hot. Almost too hot to touch along the right hand underside actually. But if you've had your kids or you have the intelligence to go for such a thoroughbred then surely not an insurmountable problem? (I'm thinking book / newspaper ... er, no it's gone, sorry)

As for the long term reliabilty problems running at those temperatures ... Well, I've had mine for just over two weeks so to be honest couldn't possibly comment. And did you say battery life? Well 2 hours is probably the limit at full warp speed (Brightness at max, optical drive on etc etc) but having said that, bright IS bright. If you're into marathons rather than the 100m sprint then slowing things up a wee bit will work wonders. The system settings for power management, for example, have a slider control with 9 graduations for the screen's brightness. Even the lowest setting is perfectly usable for day to day office tasks. "How much difference does this make?" I hear you ask ... Well, again it's too early for me to say as my battery isn't even run in properly yet but from the time I've had mine I'd estimate (VERY ROUGHLY) at least 20%. Talk about hedging your bets.

I won't bore you with the tech spec (That's what the net's for) but in short:

1 If you want a top performer and ultimate battery life isn't the be all and end all - Buy one.

2 If you want an easily portable machine (Weighs less than 2kg / 4.4lbs) with performance to blow your desktop out the water (Ok - So mine is only a 2.4GHz P4 machine) - Buy one.

3 If you want a "looker" that's going to look the biz and last for years - Buy one.

• Between 1 - 4 Weeks

Time Laptop Owned

• Screen Quality

• Battery Life

Kipper16's Response to simondawson's Review

Written on: 20/05/2005

I'm on the verge of buying an S3 model so thanks for the info.
I'm aware this laptop gets hot and I can stand the heat but what I can't stand is too much noise, whats the fan like? I've read bad reports that its very noisy, any comments?
Thanks.