Piaggio X9 500 Review

lilbmw's review of Piaggio X9 500

“I have had my 2005 Piaggio X9 500 Scooter for one...”

Written on: 16/04/2005 by lilbmw (4 reviews written)

Smooth Operation, Decent Fuel economy, Excellent Accelration and Top End.

Windscreen too low, Mirror shake. Storage should fit two helmets. Dash lights burned out from day one. Service is tough.

General Comments
I have had my 2005 Piaggio X9 500 Scooter for one month now, and over 1000 miles. I use it to commute to work, 40 miles round trip on back highways. Crusises at highway speeds wonderfully. Much better than my old Helix 250. Does over 100mph and I have been getting 54 mpg. I would have thought that the storage quality would have been better, to at least fit two full helmets. Cornering is ok, better than cars, not as good as a sportbike. Very quiet and smooth at all speeds. I have been having problems with local service to get the 600 mile fluid change, filters on back order, and who knows when the dash lights will get fixed. Wish the windscreen was higher, still a lot of windnoise at 70 mph. Thanks

Lilbmw's Response to lilbmw's Review

Written on: 27/03/2008

I wrote a review last year and this is a follow up. I now have over 16,000 miles on the Piaggio X9 500. Yes that is miles not KM. I have taken it on 500 mile trips, and I use it every day for work. The bike has proven itself worthy of any other touring bike, except not as comfortable for passengers after 100 miles. The mirrors break easily if dropped, and are expensive to replace. Engine runs like new, no oil consumption, and now that it is broken in, I get about 60 mpg. Had it up to 109 mph. The quirks of the bike I have come to accept, brakes wear down quickly, tough to check oil since it is right by the exhaust, transmission belt replaced at 12,000 had lots of life left. Belts and tires are not cheap, the Michelin Gold rear tire lasted 12,000. Front tire still going after 16. Should get 18-20. Good luck. Expensive bike, but you got to pay to play, and yes, Piaggio is a luxury and superior brand to Yamaha, Honda, or Suzuki, so you will pay more, but you do get a high quality bike.

Lilbmw's Response to lilbmw's Review

Written on: 27/03/2008

This is my 3rd Review. I have now had it for 3 riding seasons and put on 29,500 miles.The Engine does not consume any oil, and runs great. I use the bike everyday over 40 degrees. The bike is expensive to maintain, tires wear every 12K, drive belts, valve checks, and mirrors that break. But it is the price you pay to play. <br/><br/>The bike handles city and free way driving extremely well, I have had it up to 109 mph, pass on any road easily, and get 56-62 mpg. The storage is nice for my lap top and lunch, or groceries. Riding two up can be uncomfortable for passenger after an hour, knees are bent at a bad angle. <br/><br/>I am pleased with the bike. As much as I hate paying for it, I love riding it just as much.If you have the money and you want a large scooter, its worth it.