Cafe Des Amis, St Albans Review

• Quality of service

• Quality of food

polewrither's review of Cafe Des Amis, St Albans

“We went to Cafe Des Amis on Valentine's Day 2005 in...”

Written on: 06/04/2005 by polewrither (1 review written)

Cosy, friendly atmosphere.
Fabulous steak.
Good wine list.

Service not great (though not obtrusive, which is key for me).

General Comments
We went to Cafe Des Amis on Valentine's Day 2005 in the evening.

Naturally there was a set menu and we only had two hours to allow for another sitting later on. However, it was a great evening and one of our best Valentine's Day experiences. We both had steak for our main course which was absolutely fantastic, comparable to the Gaucho Grill near Bank in London.

The dessert was slightly less impressive. Partly this was because nothing on the menu really took my fancy, but my choice (an orange-based dish) turned out to be a disappointment.

The wine list was extensive with a good price range - although the wine I selected turned out not to be in the vault on that evening. The alternative suggested by the staff was excellent. Bear in mind that we are not buyers of £100+ bottles of wine, so I can't really comment on the quality at the top of the list.

Service is not over-attentive, which we prefer, but we did feel that the quality of the serving staff was a little less than we would have expected for a restaurant of this type. However, the management were friendly and respectful.

The restaurant has, from memory, around 30 tables and can probably seat a maximum of 80 people at a time.

Overall, we found this to be a great place for a romantic dinner with some of the best steak either of us has ever had.

• £5-10

Average cost per head

• First time

How often do you eat here?

• Romantic/Couples